Link Versions between JIRA Service Desk & JIRA Software projects

Milan Luburic September 5, 2017

We are running JIRA Service Desk and Software at the same server. For each of our products we have one dedicated project in both Service Desk and Software instances. As you could imagine 'projects' have their own life-cycle and related versions that are either released or being worked on (unreleased).

We would like to couple/link "Releases (Fix Versions)" from the Software projects to "Versions" of the related project in the Service Desk.

Could that be automated somehow, to avoid manual retyping of the Versions from Software --> Service Desk?

It would be nice if every time that a new version will be released in a JIRA Software projet, automatically (via Service desk automation settings) the same Version (incl. name, dates and description) would occur in the Service Desk project as well.

3 answers

1 vote
Jan-Niklas Staffa October 13, 2019

This should be a standard feature for Service Desk - i guess it is a natural scenario to provide support via Service Desk for the product that one is creating (managed using jira).

I have created the issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-6140 a while ago.

Please vote !

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2017

It sounds like you want an "inherit" capability where JSD versions inherits from JSW. The two plugins @somethingblue mentioned likely would do the trick. However, and this is likely obvious, I would think you will need to reconcile how JSD issues get versioned. I assume you will have a link between the JSD and JSW issues so that if JSW-1234 Fix version is set to 1.3 then the JSD-7733 issue will inherit the Fix version. This could become messy depending on how you use links. Such as, if some links a JSD as relates to and JSW you may not want to inherit the fix version.  Again, doable but you will want to put in some strict processes so you can trust the automation in the long run.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2017

Hi Milan,

You may be able to do this with an add-on such as ScriptRunner or something such as Automation for JIRA.

Cheers,

Branden

Milan Luburic September 5, 2017

Hi Branden,

Are these paid add-ons the only options, i.e. there is no JSD or JSW out-of-box solution available right now?

For example, by adding Custom rule in the JSD "Automation" project settings. Existing triggers do not provide such an option to link/do something if a new version in JSW would be released.

Cheers,

Milan

gvantsa davitaia April 7, 2020

Hello @somethingblue 

I use Automation for JIRA, but there could not find a rule which helps me to link service desk project issues to the software project by using fix version field.

How can I make correct automation?   

Thank you in advance,

Gvantsa

Joy_C June 4, 2020

Same question from meeeeeeee

Anita Naluzze February 1, 2023

Same question from me too 

Like Derrick likes this
Keyur Patel July 13, 2023

+1

Troy Anderson August 4, 2023

All these years and no solution.  Amazing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events