Jira automation - How to retain assignee during status transition?

Kara Hopkins July 8, 2022

I have an automation rule which transitions a ticket to a status of 'PR Open' when a PR is opened.

I have a rule which sets the 'Assignee' to 'Copy Assignee from current issue'.

However, my automation keeps assigning the ticket to 'Automation for Jira'.

How can I set it so that when the ticket is transitioned, the current assignee is retained?

Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 13.33.37.pngJira.png

I have another rule which changes the transition to 'In Progress' when a branch is created, which may be interfering. This has the same rule which copies the assignee from the current issue:

Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 13.59.07.png

1 answer

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2022

Hi Kara,

Why are you setting the Assignee field at all? If you just don't include it in the rule, it should be retained. 

Kara Hopkins July 14, 2022

That isn't happening for me, I only added that rule because it wasn't being retained. I have now removed it and the ticket is still being assigned to automation for Jira

Jira ex2.pngJira ex3.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

Hmm, that tells me there is another rule that is running then, most likely. Check the audit log at the global level for the time that the history says it was updated and see if you can tell which rule actually ran. 

Yes, the one in the very first screenshot regarding PR Open, however I also removed the 'Copy Assignee from current issue' from that rule too.

These are the only rules executing:

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 17.20.34.pngJira5.png

Both rules have had the 'Copy Assignee from current issue' removed, yet the assignee is still being updated to 'Automation for Jira'

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2022

Did your rules get published after you made the changes? 

Kara Hopkins July 15, 2022

Yes they have. I can see no reason why the assignee is being changed...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

I would go ahead and open a support ticket with Atlassian.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Like Kara Hopkins likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events