Jira Structure Formula User (Assignee) Full Name

Max April 23, 2020

I defined a formula in Jira Structure as follows:

CASE(issuetype, 'Sub-task' , assignee,'' )

In words: If the issuetype of current issue is Sub-task I want to display the assignee.

The Problem is that the usertag is displayed and not the full name.

Is there a possibility to display the full name of the assignee in the formula?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2020

Hi Max,

There is a trick, that can let you retrieve the full name. Not very elegant, but it should work. The formula should be as follows:

with v_ind=SEARCH('link">', assignee)+5:
with v_start=SEARCH('">', assignee, v_ind)+1:
with v_end=SEARCH("</a>", assignee)-1:
with v_assignee=SUBSTRING(assignee, v_start, v_end):
CASE(issuetype, 'Sub-task' , v_assignee,'' )

One more thing, assignee variable below formula needs to be changed to Manual Specification, which should be modified to {"id":"assignee","format":"html"} from {"id":"assignee","format":"text"}

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

Max April 23, 2020

Perfect THX!

Is there a special docu for stuff like this?

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2020

Hi @Max 

This is more of a trick than a normal solution, so there is no docs. We hope to introduce a more comfortable solution to this kind of thing in the future.

Regards,

Egor

Like Max likes this
Poojaa Sudhakaran May 6, 2020

Hi @Egor Tasa [ALM Works] ,

I've used your formula and it works perfectly for us. But while grouping the issues, is there any way where I can display the aggregation of usernames in the grouped field?

My Use Case:

I'm displaying Product owner names in structure and grouping the issues based on Teams (custom field). Aggregation of all the Product owner names should roll up to the Teams field.

Thanks,

Poojaa

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2020

Hi Poojaa,

If I understand the described requirement correctly, then when you group by Team field, you can add a formula 

JOIN#subtree#distinct{SUBSTRING(assignee, SEARCH('">', assignee, SEARCH('link">', assignee)+5)+1, SEARCH("</a>", assignee)-1)}

Cannot use variables here because of aggregate construct, though.

If your requirement is grouping when multiple users can be assigned to a single field, then this cannot be solved at the moment, as formulas cannot yet work with lists (we are planning to introduce it soon).

Regards,

Egor

Poojaa Sudhakaran May 7, 2020

Thanks @Egor Tasa [ALM Works] ,

This worked for me.

Regards,

Poojaa

Like Egor Tasa [ALM Works] likes this
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2020

I have forgotten that in Structure 6.0 one can use USER_NAME(user) function instead of having to modify format and parse results.

So for instance latest formula will be much more simple

JOIN#subtree#distinct{USER_DISPLAY_NAME(assignee)}

Regards,
Egor

Like Daniil Pronin likes this
0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2021

Another update for @Max:  ALM works is hosting a Structure 7 / Formulas / Expr 2 Bootcamp that you may be interested in.

Best,

-dave 

Max September 8, 2021

Nice thx!

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

Hi @Max & @Poojaa Sudhakaran. There's some news that's relevant to this thread.

In case you missed it, ALM Works recently released Structure 7. The keystone feature is a major update to the Structure Formulas language, Expr.

Expr 2.0 includes major improvements that make it easier to extract project data from Jira and use it in creative ways in your reporting. If you want to learn more, this article will get you started. 

-dave [ALM Works]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events