Jira Service Management Cloud Insight - Hierarchical asset custom field

Adam Foot March 23, 2021

Using Insight for Jira Service Management Cloud, is there a way to have a hierarchical asset custom field such that on the user portal, they click on it & are presented with top level "object types" followed by "objects"?

Currently using the Asset Type Configuration of "objectTypeId in (4, 6, 7, 8)" results in a random list of objects brought in from those objecttypeIDs. This is also not a complete list, just some of the objects.

Current asset custom field when clicked:

Windows 10

Apple

Microsoft

Windows 7

Ideal solution would instead show:

Microsoft

Apple

Then once the first option is chosen it displays the operating systems.

Is there a way to achieve this? If not, is there at least a way to show ALL objects from multiple objecttypes?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

Hi @Adam Foot ,

let's assume you have object type "Vendor" and object type "Operation System". "Microsoft" and "Apple" are objects with type "Vendor", "Windows 10" and "Windows 7" and objects with type "Operation System".

I would recommend you to create two custom fields, the first will show only objects with type "Operation System" and the second will show only objects with type "Vendor"... Then you can use these custom fields in your requests on portal.

How could this be done?

Create two Asset Type Configurations, for each object type one.

• "Vendors" with JQL: objectType = "Vendor"
  • "Operation Systems" with JQL: objectType = "Operation System"

(You can also use objectTypeId  instead of name in the provided JQLs)

Then create two custom fields:

• "Vendors" - which will use the "Vendors" configuration from the previous step
  • "Operation Systems" - which will use the "Operation Systems" configuration 

All these operations are described here.

Adam Foot March 24, 2021

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This wouldn't work for us as the second layer "operating system" in this case is directly tied to the "vendor" ie only if the "vendor" is "Microsoft" can the "operating system" be "Windows. 

Otherwise, a user could select "vendor" as "Apple" & "operating system" as "Windows 10", which wouldn't be correct.

With that in mind, is there a solution using a single custom field that would achieve this level of hierarchy?

Adam Foot March 24, 2021

Also wondering if there is a solution to my second question: is there a way to show ALL objects from multiple objecttypes in a custom field?

Using "objectTypeId in (4, 6, 7, 8)" results in a small portion of all objects in those referenced object types.

Thanks

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2021

About the hierarchy. There are Referenced Insight custom fields in the server version, which enables you to do this, but I wasn't able to find this possibility in cloud. 

About all - I'm not aware of such limitation, I believe this should work. Did you try to write a few characters, if the field is able to find objects which are not showing?

Adam Foot March 29, 2021

Hi Hana,

Yes, it's able to find the objects that aren't immediately showing by typing/searching for them. To suit our requirements, we really need a full select list as our users won't have knowledge of everything in there.

Regards,

Adam

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events