Jira - Can I set up scheduled searches and triggers based on results of those searches?

Zim __Appfire__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2019

Hi there!

My organization uses Jira Server 7.12.3.
Also, in case it's relevant, we use Slack at our organization. We also have the Automation Lite and Notification Assistant add-ons installed in our Jira instance.

Some users are looking to set up a scheduled search in Jira and then set up triggers for other operations based on those search results. For example, is there a way to set up an hourly search in Jira and then have it trigger a WebHook to send out, or a notification to send out, ONLY if the results of that query are 0? So, first we would need to set up a scheduled search and then we would need to trigger an event IF the query results = a certain number of issues.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas or is aware of an add-on that might allow us to accomplish configuring something like this. Thanks so much!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2020

Hi Andrew,

This is not currently possible in Notification Assistant for Jira. Would it be possible to move the logic to your Webhook listener to make it a dead-man switch? So if it doesn't get a notification in X amount of time, it does whatever you want? Getting a notification from Jira would reset that timer?

Boris

Zim __Appfire__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2020

Hey there, @Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority ,

That's a good thought! I think I might be able to also write a scripted condition, to check if the jql_result_count matches a certain value.

After hearing the full original request from my user, I believe I ultimately decided that the complexity needed ONLY to trigger automation or notifications on 0 results wasn't worth the implementation, compared to the simplicity of setting up a notification (or filter subscription) to run however often they needed it and for the recipients to just take the extra few seconds to view the total results.

But, since I have you here, Boris -- is it possible to use the JQL result issue count as a variable in a Notification Assistant template? I'm imagining using that in the subject line. "{{total}} Issues in the Queue!" or something like that.

From there, if they really wanted to only see the alert if it was "0 Issues..." they could filter or build organizational rules on their own based on subject line contents.

Anyway, I don't think this an active need for my users at this time. Thanks for your thoughts and response!

Andrew

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2020

Try using:

${issuecount}

I am not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

Zim __Appfire__
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2020

For sure worth a try. It didn't work for me, though. Let me know if you think of anything else. I'm on board with experimenting!

Thanks, Boris!

Andrew

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2020

Hmm spoke to the devs and this isn't available in the Subject context. We could add support for it, but I am thinking this may be better addressed by a broader review of which placeholders exist in which contexts, and also improving the docs around that.  We're going to review this and decide how to proceed.

Zim __Appfire__
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2020

Right on! Thanks so much, Boris.

-AZ

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events