Jira Automation: How do I transition a subtask on transition of another subtask of the same parent?

cmbecket November 29, 2018

Hello all, 

The scenario is this. 

1. I have a parent task that is created when someone submits a ticket.
  2. Six subtasks are automatically created when the parent is created.
  3. When one of those subtasks transitions to specific status, I want to trigger actions on OTHER subtasks of the same parent. E.g one subtask transitions to "Complete" and I need another subtask to transition to "ready for work"

I need to make sure that the rule is only applying to the subtasks with the same parent, so as not to transition subtasks under OTHER parents. Please let me know if this makes sense :) 

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user November 29, 2018

Hi Chel,

This might be possible using JQL and a related issues branch. I would imagine you trigger the rule on issue transitioned and use a compare condition to filter out transitions that you're not interested in.

Then, you would use the Branch on JQL. The tricky part is then identifying the other task in JSQL. You can use the following to get started:

parent = {{issue.parent}} and something = identifier

The first part will limit the JQL search to just the sub tasks of the parent task. You'll then need to add something to identify the other task that you wish to transition. If you can do that then add a transition issue action on the branch and you're sorted.

Cheers,
Simeon [Automation for Jira]

cmbecket November 30, 2018

Thank you! I think parent = {{issue.parent}} is what I needed. Let me give this a try :)

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user November 30, 2018

No worries, best of luck. Feel free to raise a support ticket if you're still having issues or comment here.

Cheers,

Simeon [Automation for Jira]

Like Ozan CANAY likes this
Livanta, LLC August 11, 2020

@cmbecket - did this work?  and if so, can you share your JQL

0 votes
Federico Quiroz Trujillo August 14, 2020

@Livanta, LLC  I did the following and worked like a charm:

Start by setting your trigger and conditions, and add whatever other actions or conditions you need while setting up steps 1 and 2

1) Branch Rule for JQL: project = "your projects name" AND issuetype = Sub-task AND summary ~ "whatever summary you have set" AND Sprint in openSprints()

2) Advanced compare condition

IF: Compare two values---> 1st {{triggerIssue.parent}} equals {{issue.parent}}

Then: transition item to Testing

Hope this helped!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events