JIRA Automation Lite error Unknown fields set during edit, they may be unavailable for the project/t

Sue Bridges January 28, 2019

The aim of my rule is to automatically update a date/time Picker field with the current date, time when a transition is made to Closed in any issue across all projects.

My error in the Audit Log is:-

Unknown fields set during edit, they may be unavailable for the project/type.

Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored -

Closed Date (customfield_10660)

No fields or field values to edit for issues (could be due to some field values not existing in a given project): <Issue number closed>

The Custom (Closed Date) field setup looks fine to me - Global all projects.  I can check the fields in each Project and it is listed.

We have a multitude of screens, so I have associated the field with Close screens for where the transition takes places.  Where there is no special screen I have put the field against an Edit screen.  I don't actually want to assign it to a screen as it is the Workflow Transition that I am interested in.  Though I don't mind viewing it, I don't want it typed in.  However, I have a feeling it might be required to put it against a screen.

Get the error when I close the issue.

My automation rule is

Global across projects, enabled of course.

When Issue Transitioned - From status (blank as I don' care), To status Closed

The Edit Issue fields - Closed Date {{now}}

5 answers

2 votes
Frederik April 14, 2020

I was running into the same issue.

For me it was caused by the automation’s actor not having access to the field as configured by the permission scheme.

Sue Bridges April 14, 2020

Ah, yes.  This sounds likely, will have to check.  Many thanks

Philip Stone May 18, 2020

Did you find solution? I'm using JSD and my process was working fine and then suddenly stopped working. We have updated our Workflow but I'm not sure that this issue started exactly at that time.

The Rule make a transition if a customer add a comment to a Resolved issue. The transition "Reopen Issue" has a screen which contains "Assignee". My action is, run the transition "Reopen Issue" and set "Assigne" to unassigned. The transition itself also clear the resolution.

During the automation, the status changes to "Waiting for support" but neither the resolution is cleared or the assignee is set to unassigned.

Not sure where I should set the permission.

Philip Stone June 8, 2020

I find the solution to my issue. The status I wanted to reach, does have several Transitions. I now defined a "Transition match" filter to specify my transition and it's working again now.

Image 1.png

1 vote
Ionascu Irina January 18, 2021

Hello! I have the same error, I created an automation rule to increment a field (number type of field) each time a ticket is set to Reopen status from Resolved, Closed, Tested and I receive the same error : "No fields or field values to edit for issues (could be due to some field values not existing in a given project):" 

The actor was a person without admin permissions so I changed that and I added an actor which has admin permissions in Jira, I have also set a default value for the field, nevertheless I am still receiving the same error... And in the test environment is working.

I am using the same Automation version on both test and production environment, is 7.2.4

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? 

Thanks! 

Sue Bridges January 18, 2021

Try the Transition Match idea above perhaps?

0 votes

Ooh, I had forgotten about this one.  I had this working on Automation Lite (recently upgraded to full version for $10USD), let's see what I did as it is now working:-

The current Automation Rule is simple enough:-

When Issue Transitioned FROM Resolved, Open etc. TO Closed

Then Edit issue fields Closed Date {{now}}

The custom field called Closed Date is a Date Time Picker,  Global across all projects

It exists on lots of different Edit, View and Close screens so that it can viewed.  It's not set as required as that's too restrictive and the Automation will set it/overwrite anyway.

The Actor is an admin user.

Originally I had not specified the status to transition FROM anything, as I just thought as long as it hit Closed it applies.  However, I have that specifically set in the Rule now, and that was maybe an important factor as I have it in my notes.  I have a feeling that the screens that the field was set on was important at the time too - I know I had it working in a couple of projects but not another so did play with the screens.  Some projects have more complicated screens for workflow than others.  I had not wanted to have the field on the screens at all as it's only for my statistics reporting, but I don't think that worked. 

Can't see anything else to tell you.

Note - I have put in nothing to stop a User from entering a Closed Date earlier than the transition to Closed.  This was a originally a concern for me as it's good practice to restrict it - stop Users doing unwanted things, but when it comes down to it, people don't put in more than they need to here so don't play around adding extra details un-necessarily - in fact, most issues are updated from the handy Outlook to JIRA Integration app ($10 USD) - send an email, update JIRA comment.  This is surprisingly useful to us so they probably rarely directly type into an issue and haven't noticed it in the field list! 

Let me know if this has been of help.

Ionascu Irina January 19, 2021

Hi Sue! Thank you very much for your reply! Yesterday I tried to erase and create again the custom field and the automation rule and for some reasons has worked without any issue, even though I did the same as before. Anyway I noted down the solution you proposed as I am sure it will be useful in the future. Thanks! 

0 votes
andrew.stoute July 31, 2020

I was running into the same error. For me, the automation I built was changing a Task to an Epic then trying to set the Epic Name and getting the error on the Epic Name field.

I solved this by adding a step to the automation to Refresh Issue Data. My automation flow is now:

• Change type to Epic
  • Refresh Issue Data
  • Set Epic Name

Sounds a useful tip

0 votes
Sebastian Gomez November 20, 2019

I am having the same issue trying to update a date picker field when it is changed in parent, The automation is supposed to update the new date across all sub-tasks but I receive the same message as seen above. I haven't been able to find a solution. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events