JDBC driver class not found: com.amazonaws.athena.jdbc.AthenaDriver

Tamal Datta
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 1, 2017

I want to connect aws Athena datasource. But getting error "JDBC driver class not found"

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2017

Have you installed the Athena driver in your Atlassian application, alongside one of the supported database drivers for the main application?

Stuti Golwala May 7, 2019

Hi Nic,

I want to make sure that Confluence supports Athena drivers or not.

From what I have read (https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-jdbc-drivers-171742.html), following are the only supported drivers:

1. PostgreSQL
  2. Microsoft SQL Server
  3. MySQL
  4. Oracle

I am not sure what Athena drivers are. So, just confirming before diving into it.

Thanks,

~ Stuti

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

So you're trying to use Confluence on an unsupported database?  I can't recommend you do that, please use one of the four you have listed.

I thought you might be trying to use the driver for something else, which is ok. Worst case, it won't work, but it won't break Confluence, and you remain supported.  But do not try to use an unsupported database for Confluence's data store.

Stuti Golwala May 8, 2019

Hi Nic,

I can connect Athena DB with JDBC driver.

I just want to know whether Confluence supports Athena DB as it is hosted by AWS.

If Confluence supports, then I can install Athena JDBC drivers to our Confluence server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2019

Please see the previous comment.

Stuti Golwala May 9, 2019

What I mean is, our Confluence works on PostgreSQL DB.

We have an add-on "SQL for Confluence (Pro Edition)" installed and one of the customers want to connect Athena DB to display the results of the query on the confluence page. 

We do not have drivers of Athena DB on our Confluence server. I would like to know if installing the drivers would affect Confluence? Will Confluence supports Athena drivers?

Please let me know if that is unclear. I will try to put it in a different way.

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2019

Ok, that contradicts what you said before, but we'll go with it.

You'll need to install the drivers in Tomcat, not Confluence, they are infrastructure things.  I don't know if Tomcat can use Athena drivers, although my guess would be that it can.  The usual way to add database drivers is to add their .jar files to the /lib directory of Tomcat.

Confluence won't be affected by the installation, it's the Tomcat that will be using them.

Like Stuti Golwala likes this
Stuti Golwala May 13, 2019

Sounds good.

I will install it and let you know.

Apologies for the confusion.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events