Issues with configuring the View Issue screen

John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2014

I've built screens with a set of tabs to group related fields together at transitions.

This all works very well for Resolve, Verify (new state) and Edit.

When I map a similar screen in for View Issue the display is compromised as Jira appears to force some fields to be displayed above the tabs, namely.

Type: Status:

Affects Versions/s: Resolution:

Components: Fix Versions/s:

Labels:

Environment:

I could see why, in the default model, you might want to display some key fields in this way, but shouldn't this screen be display the way I have designed it to be consistent with my other screens?

(Jira 6.2.7)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2014

As I expected.

No big deal, looks rubbish compared to my other screens which are all tabbed.

I was interested in working on the view screen as one of my projects whi is trialling the system asked if I could look at configuring it ...

Ho hum!

Thanks anyway.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2014

The view screen is designed to show you the most important fields all the time. Tabbing fields up makes them less important because they can be hidden, and that's about it. The view screen is core in Jira, not configurable beyond tabbing and rearranging less important field.

John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2014

I haven't just tabbed up my fields due to them being less important but rather to group them. My default set of tabs on create are: Descrioption and Supporting Data; Context and Importance; Scheduling. (names unimportant).

For the Resolve transition I have the first tab as Resolution to get the key fields at that transition.

At Verify I have a first Tab to get the key fields at Verify, etc.

In all other custom screens if one elects to use tabs then all data is under tabs.

It would be consistent in terms of look and feel to be able to accommodate this presentation in the view screen?

If I want to see the important fields in an issue I'd rely on the tabular view in Navigator.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2014

Sorry, I was thinking in more technical terms. Your fields are not less important, I agree. But by shoving them off into tabs so the users have to click to find them, you are showing them as less important.

However, the core of the question is really down to the view screen layout. This is part of the core of Jira and isn't going to change unless you want to do a pile of development work to hack it. Jira shows the system fields in a fixed place in the issue view, you can't change it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events