Issue with Structure plugin backup & Restore

Kalyan Chakravarthy December 10, 2012

We are currently evaluating jira along with structure plugin, and we are more are less complete, but recevied an error which we never witnessed in the last 1 months of evaluation.

Iam referring to the structure backup and restore here, while doing a restore Iam seeing warning messages like below, this is happening only on one instance where as other test instances are running fine with the backup and restore. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Steps that Iam performing: (The Backup & Restore is performed on 2 different machines)

1. Full backup & restore of jira instance.

2. Full backup & restore of Structure backup

Towards the end we recieve the following message:

The restore operation produced following warnings:

Issue 21908 : Issue 21908 not found (TT-9959 XXXX on QA/Prod).

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

Please check if both instances have the same Structure configuration -- whether project TT is enabled for structure. See Administration | Structure | Configuration menu.

As I mentioned in my original post the structure backup is restored on top of the base jira backup. which means all the projects and its configuration from server1(jira-instance1) are now copied/imported on to server2 (jira-instance2).

I also confirm that the project TT is enabled for structure. on both the jra instances.

I also cross verified all the plugin versions across both the instances and they match.

I was successful in restoring it using the option "Migrate Structure".

What I did:

1. Used the structure backup from jira-instance1

2. Choose the "Migrate Structure" option and selected the overwrite all existing strcutures and completed the restoration, this time I didn't received any errors.

But wanted to know if this is the right approach or not.

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

This is interesting. What is your JIRA version?

Using Migrate Structure is also ok. The fact that it was successful while Restore Structure gave those warnings may only mean that somehow numeric issue IDs were changed during JIRA restore. This must not happen when you do full JIRA restore (as opposed to Project Import), but given JIRA version I will double-check it.

Thanks
Igor

Structure: 2.0.0

We are using the following:

OS: Linux hostname 2.6.18-274.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jul 8 17:36:59 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

JIRA: atlassian-jira-5.1.8-x64.bin

GreenHopper: 6.0.8

Also I found warning messages shown below during the start/restart/restore

http-8085-6 WARN adminuser 1403x199x1 8nex7

structure-restarter-1-4b0abb50 WARN adminuser 1403x199x1 8nex79 10.91.30.64 /secure/admin/StructureMigrate!apply.jspa [jira.structure.util.PluginRestarter] structure-restarter-1-4b0abb50: ------------> done: enabling Structure <------------

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

Kalyan, thanks for the info. Just to make sure: what did you use to restore JIRA from backup? System Restore menu or anything else?

The warning about "enabling Structure" is perfectly ok. It has "warning" level to make sure it appears in the log; otherwise it is just an info.

Kalyan Chakravarthy December 11, 2012

Thanks for your time and confirmation Igor. I am using the standard menu in jira for import export of the db. (System->Import & Export-> Backup System/Restore System.

The source and target are hosted on HSQL database.

The only point of contention is the same backup has worked fine on one of the instance which is connected to a Oracle database. Hence all the above R&D has started

0 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

Structure restore tries to locate issues by their numeric IDs to place them into restored structures. This warning tells you that issue with ID 21908 has not been found.

You can safely ignore this warning, if you don't see too many of them. Other issues in the structure are restored correctly.

My guess is that this issue (TT-9959) has been deleted on your JIRA, but remained in structures and backup.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your quick response. out of thousands of such issueskeys we got warnings for about 243 issues. when compared both source and target they exist in both the places.

My problem is the same backup works very fine on other machines where as it ends up throwing these warnings on one of the test instance.

I think it got to do with indexing. I'll try to re-do this operation after re-idexing the source before taking a backup and see if there is any difference.

Regards

Kalyan

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2012

Please check if both instances have the same Structure configuration -- whether project TT is enabled for structure. See Administration | Structure | Configuration menu.

No luck, same warnings. what different I did this time:

re-indexed the source, took the backup of jira and structure and restored the same on target jira instance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events