Is there a way to parse comment bodies when creating a action

mf93 April 21, 2017

I am creating a rule that will create a new story whenever an individual comments on any story with a comment that has a certain format. Is there a way, when executing the story action, to parse the comment body, maybe using regular expressions, so I can allow the user to enter multiple parts of the story(like for example, the summary and description) in the comment?

2 answers

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2017

Hi Matt,

So you can use the 'Compare condition' to perform regular expression matches on comment body using this smart-value:

{{comment.body}}

We also include a number of string functions to do further matching (or to extract certain values from a string). See https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/wiki/display/AUTO4J/Working+with+Strings for more details.

So for example you could use a match like this:

{{issue.summary.match("_([^_]*)_")}}

If your comment body contains 'Hello _world_ today!' then this would simply render 'world'.

Cheers,

Andreas

0 votes
Gab Bautista April 21, 2017

Can you elaborate more on what do you mean by "executing story action"? 

If you just need to parse the comment section of a JIRA issue, what I can suggest to you is to create a JIRA IssueUpdateListener so that whenever an issue is updated with a comment, you get the value of that comment and parse it based on a syntax you pre-define (e.g. it should be in the format like [Summary: This is the Summary, Description: this is the description].

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events