Is there a wait() or sleep() function available for Jira Automation?

Connor Skiro December 8, 2020

The currently logic for my rule is that when an issue transitions to In Progress, it'll update the Assignee field based on who triggered the rule, then it posts the ticket in slack with {{assignee.displayName}} started this ticket. 

However, in Slack the displayName is blank because the rule did not finish executing and posts "is starting JIRA-123" in Slack. 

Any help would be appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

Two options come to my mind to help you work around this:

• Try different smart value for your Slack message:
    {{initiator.displayName}}
  • Insert the "Re-fetch issue data" component before sending the Slack message. This will reload the issue, hopefully with the updated Assignee.

I'm not sure the first one will work, as sometimes the "initiating user" is the "Automation for Jira" pseudo-user. A quick test should verify if it will do the trick in your scenario.

The second approach has some additional overhead, but is the "big hammer" approach that should ensure that the issue updates are synchronized with the rule execution. 

Connor Skiro December 8, 2020

Mykenna,

Thank you very much for the feedback!

{{initiator.displayName}}

did work when tested.  

Like Daniel Eads likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events