Is scriptrunner's automation for Jira action available in Automation Lite?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

I don't have the option to exexute a scriptrunner script when creating a global Automation rule with auatomation for Jira.

Is this because I'm using the Lite version of automation for Jira?
I do see another third party action from Elements Connect (nFeed)

• Jira version: 7.12.3
  • Automation for Jira Lite: 7.1.7
  • Scriptrunner version: 5.9.1

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2020

Hi Charlie,

It looks like there are only 4 plugins/apps that are considered to be whitelisted for the Lite version.  These are:

It turns out that this information does exist, but it was over in Automation for Jira Server - Reference - Actions. That page also has a note that some apps are known to cause potential problems:

Please be aware that third party apps can cause problems with event handling, serialising issues, calculated custom fields, performance issues, etc. Some of the add-ons we've seen cause issues are:

I suspect that these plugins are not whitelisted in the Lite version likely due to the complexities that they can potentially bring to automation.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Hi, @Andy Heinzer What sort of problems are you encountering with JSU, if I may ask? 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2020

Hi Denise,

This is not something that I myself have encountered as a user nor as Atlassian support.  Rather this is something that the CodeBarrel team had documented in Automation for Jira Server - Reference - Actions - Third party actions.  I don't have any direct knowledge of what exactly these problems were.  Rather there is just a generalized note that some third party apps in Jira will change the way event handling, issue serialising, calculated custom fields, or performance in Jira is affected.  Sorry I don't have more specific detailed information to share here.

Andy

@Andy Heinzer We have not encountered this with JSU either and was wondering why it got included in the list of CodeBarrel when JSU does not operate in event handling and the other problems mentioned. Thanks for clarifying that you've not experienced this yourself either.  

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2020

Hi Andy

Great! Thanks for the explanation about those third party apps.

I'm glad it has been well documented .

Charlie

0 votes

If you are encountering problems with the lite version of Automation for Jira, you might just want to use JSU for workflow automations, most used by enterprises. @Charlie Misonne 

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2020

Hi Denise

Yes we are already using JSU :-) But our use case was not about workflow automation.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
May 13, 2020

Hi Charlie,

I see that you are looking to use the action of executing a scriptrunner script via the automation plugin in Jira server.  That particular action is only available in the paid version.  The Lite version does not have this ability.

Strangely though I found that our documentation was lacking this information. I have made an update to our doc over in Getting the right version in order to help clarify this.

Regards,

Andy

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2020

Hi Andy

Where exactly on that page have you made an update? I can't see anything related to third party or scriptrunner actions.

The odd thing is I can use a third party action from the Elements Connect plugin. Does that mean some third party actions are available on Lite and others are not?

kind regards
Charlie

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
May 14, 2020

Hi Charlie,

Sorry about that, it looks like my change was reverted.  I'm not sure why one 3rd party integration would be supported in Lite and another would not.  So let me take this question back to my team and I will try to get this better documented to improve our understanding here.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events