Is it possible to send an automated email to the orignally sender?

Nico Schraub February 15, 2022

I would like to archive the following goal:

In our project we set up a service request with an mail handler in Jira Cloud. For this we tried to build an automation which sends an email back to the original sender. When the sender is part of jira as user than everythings works fine. But when there isn't any user of jira for example personal gmail id than the automation fails and the sender doesn't recieve any mail. No tag in the from value for example "Initiator", "Anfrageteilnehmer" or "Reporter" don't work either.

Is there any solution to fix this problem? 

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2022

Hi @Nico Schraub  Welcome to Atlassian Community !!

If i understand this correctly, are you trying to add auto response to customer when a ticket is submitted by them ? If yes we can do with an automation like this.

Try using "Add comment" action for this. While adding comment we have to make sure it is for "Reply to customer". This will make sure the reporter and request participants will receive the response as soon as the ticket is created

Sample:

Auto-respond-comment.png

Hi @Vishwas 

thank you for fast the answer. And great to be here. :)  

When I get you correctly then the customer needs access to jira, correct? 

Our intention was:

The customer sends with his/her own email address (which is not known in jira) to a "support mail" address. Jira has an inbound connection to the "support mail" address. The mail handler is doing the fowlling: 

image.png

When the issue is created the customer should get an email response to his/her own email address. I hope it is a little bit better understandable now.

For us it is important that our customer can create Service Request issues in jira without having access and getting an automatic answer. 

But when you or someone else a diffrent solution, I am absolutley open. :) When it's working with your comment solution, then it would be create. Maybe I didn't understand it entirely.

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2022

Hey @Nico Schraub 

before i could suggest a solution. can you please answer few questions.

When you mention customer is sending mails to mail handler. Is it a Jira service management project ? Or you have configured incoming mail handler for jira software project ?

And when a ticket is created who is the reporter - Customer or a generic user ?

Like Nico Schraub likes this

Hi @Vishwas 

thanks again: Here are my answers:

When you mention customer is sending mails to mail handler. Is it a Jira service management project? No, we are using just jira. In the moment our team is to small for Jira service management, but we have to much users for the free account. 

Or you have configured incoming mail handler for jira software project? From my answer before, YES.

And when a ticket is created who is the reporter - Customer or a generic user? In the moment I'm the reporter (with my Jira User). A generic would be better.

For example: nico.schraub@domainXY.com (Jira-User: Nico Schraub) is the reporter. And someone else for example lisa788@abc.com (Has no jira account) is sending the mail to our support mail address.

I took the cusomer wording cause of your words. Maybe it lead to more confusion than clarity.

Thanks a lot

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2022

Hey @Nico Schraub 

Got it !! I was suggesting for Jira-service management projects.

Now i get it, another question is there a way a customer email address is captured (like: lisa788@abc.com) on the ticket in some field?. 

The key here is to get that email and add it in some field. Without that entry point email if we add comments or send mail via automation it wont work(that is the reason we cannot send to initiator/reporter).

I would suggest to have a look at this post which had the same use case https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Reply-to-Incoming-Mail-by-commenting-on-created-issue/qaq-p/1784278

Nico Schraub February 16, 2022

Hi @Vishwas

thanks for your help. This reference helps me a lot. I will test it later with my collegue but I think it will work because it's the same problem as mine.

Thanks again

Like Vishwas likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events