Is it possible to get current issue's next issue for automation action?

OK March 20, 2020

Hi!

I need to get next issue in certain order and scope for automation action based on current issue from this scope.

In other words i need to do recursive update of any scoped issues

Example: I have created a bunch of new consecutive issues for one assignee. And now i want to link them together with "has to be done after" in one chain of execution just because this one resource can't resolve issues in a parallel way. This will give me an initial precise chain for Gantt chart to predict deadline including holidays just in one click "Execute automation"

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2020

Hi @OK  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I don't know of an easy way to get the "next in line" issue for a group of linked issues. You might could create a custom field and increment the value by one for each newly created issue. 

Then using Jira Automation you would read the min or max value of that field to perform a function. But when you perform the function it will need to change a value of some type of field in order to be able to put that in the condition when reading min or max. 

It's a little far fetched but might work. 

OK March 21, 2020

hi! thanks for reply

is it possible to iterate over a key(id) field, maybe? unfortunately, my current knowledge of jql doesn't give me a view how to do it. in mysql it would be a subquery with min/max function for sub-queried record's id field array (or first/last for ordered scope). does jql allow subqueries?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2020

You should be able to use Automation For Jira to do that. It is now free as a part of Jira. 

OK March 21, 2020

i understand. and i am saying just about automation. automation will have a step to get an issue to modify. and the question is how to get next issue in order after current (ORDER id asc, for example) to apply automation to it...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2020

See my comment above about creating a custom field and incrementing the value as you create each new issue in order. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events