Is it possible to get a QR code picture for the issue URL auto-generated in the Jira

manofchrome July 10, 2017

When testing with mobile or Tablet, it is helpful to be able to just hold the mobile up to the Jira and see the issue loaded in the mobile browser immediately.

Currently the person raising the issue here generates the QR code picture and adds it, but have we been missing a trick - is there an add-on that will add a QR code for the URL field?

3 answers

3 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

Hi Kevin,

I see that you're using JIRA Cloud, and there doesn't seem to be an add-on for JIRA Cloud that has that functionality.... so I wrote one. Please send me an e-mail at stephendeutsch1@gmail.com and I'll give you a link to test it out.

manofchrome July 11, 2017

How extraordinarily kind of you.  Thank you!

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

You're welcome!

I'll post a link to the Marketplace once it gets approved so others can use it as well.

manofchrome July 11, 2017

This works perfectly. There is now a QR code to the right that links to the Jira.

However, to the rest of those testers like me out there, here is another humbling experience. This kind gentleman wrote this beautiful little add-on to do exactly what I said, and the fault is truly mine.

What I should have said was "you know when you raise a Jira, and you type in the URL of the page that you found an issue on, into the URL field, or the 'how to test' field" - that's what I would like a QR code to.

Sorry Stephen!

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2017

Haha, perhaps I should have figured what you were referring to. Maybe I'll take a little more time and add some options to be able to optionally choose a custom field that the QR code should point to (but it probably won't be right away).

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2017

I updated the add-on to now be able to read from an issue field, but unfortunately because I submitted the add-on to Atlassian for inclusion in the Marketplace, I can't update the add-on descriptor in the Marketplace to include the new functionality, so you may have to wait another day or two until it gets approved for you to be able to try it out.

manofchrome July 12, 2017

Thankyou!  I am very much looking forwards to using this and will look out for it arriving to trial it. 

It seems such an obvious upgrade when so many people are doing mobile testing these days, to be able to instantly QR scan in the URL of the problem, instead of thumbing it in by hand, that I hope there will be a good uptake of your add-on :)

manofchrome July 14, 2017

QR Code for JIRA Configuration

I have now configured this add-on using the simple choices you have provided in the settings, to pull from the URL field inside the Jira.

Now when I hold up the mobile, with the QR code reader, it reads the code, and goes directly to the Development Web Page that has an issue on it.

PERFECT.  QA Passed :)  Nice work and thank you.

Chris Johnson July 2, 2018

I believe Stephens app, cloud version, can be found in the marketplace at

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217401/qr-code-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2018

Hi Chris, thanks, that's the one!

Gustavo Segura October 11, 2021

This plugin would be awesome if it allowed someway to export the issues with the QRCode, even from the API I cannot get the reference to the QR code image. 

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2018

We have just recently added support for QR codes (and all sort of 1D/2D barcodes) to our Better PDF Exporter app. It can encode anything from URLs, through field values, static texts, geo URIs, email addresses, etc.

(It is targeting PDF documents, not the web view, but you could eventually use it by downloading the PDF document to your mobile device and scan the QR code from that.)

See the tutorial here: http://www.midori-global.com/products/better-pdf-exporter-for-jira/documentation/qr-codes-and-barcodes

jira-issue-list-table-export-with-qr-code

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2017

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.bit2bitamericas.plugins.jira.qr_code_generator/server/overview

is one that turns up in Google. I'd be interested what you think of it

manofchrome July 10, 2017

It's certainly close - thanks! - from the documentation it's challenging to see if the URL used to generate the QR code is taken from the Jira Issue URL, so will need to trial it to find out.

Not keen on the extra pdf generated, but if it gives sufficient additional efficiencies, we may be willing to just ignore that extra file.

However, I'm willing to try it, but It doesn’t look like they have a cloud version of that which is what we would need.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events