Is it possible to change the "Actor" of the automation rule to be the current user?

Mick Lovell July 25, 2018

The activity log makes it look like the person who created the rule was responsible for the automation event.  Is there a way to set that value equal to the current user, so we can more easily trace who triggered the event?

36 answers

8 votes
zacharymehl July 31, 2019

I would also like this feature.

3 votes
Alexander Raymukanov April 23, 2021

"Automation for Jira" programmers team doesn't look so agile. 2,5 years have passed and such an important function has not been done. A typical Atlassian ecosystem problem 

3 votes
Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2020

This looks to have been completed in the automation tool

It, is really working out for our needs

Automation rules - JIRA 2020-10-11 12-20-43.png

Alex McColl October 12, 2020

I'm running the latest plugin version for server, and that option does not exist :(

Like # people like this
Mark January 27, 2021

Does the change only affect the Cloud version - and not Data Centre?

3 votes
Dan Stoodley July 21, 2019

Any updates on this one?  I have an automation rule that adds a comment to a ticket based on a transition.  The comment is currently being made by a generic user with the unfortunate byproduct being that the Agent is notified as having a Customer comment on their issue

If the rule Actor was able to be set to CurrentUser I beleive this would fix my issue

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2019

Unfortunately this hasn't hit our roadmap yet (despite its popularity). Our current focus has been on Ease of use and scalability and reliability. We hope to pick up some capability stories soon but I can't make any promises on dates. Sorry. 

Like Deleted user likes this
2 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2021

Guys, our team also needed this feature, but as we couldn't wait, we used an alternative approach. You may find this approach useful, although it requires some efforts (sometimes very little) to get it working.

So, the idea is that we developed a custom automation action to run Groovy scripts!

It is fully compatible with the built-in triggers, you can use this action in any automation rule.
In the Groovy script you can implement any logic and you have full control on the identity of the user who executes that logic.

For example, if you want to add a comment to one or a set of issues, run this Groovy script:

import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.comment.CommentService
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.comment.CommentService.CommentParameters
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

def author = devops.committerByUsername // <-- define the comment creator here

def commentService = ComponentAccessor.getOSGiComponentInstanceOfType(CommentService)
issues.each { issue ->
 def commentInput = CommentParameters.builder()
  .issue(issue)
  .body(devops.comment)
  .created(new Date())
  .author(author)
  .build()
 def commentResult = commentService.validateCommentCreate(author, commentInput)
 if (commentResult.valid) {  commentService.create(author, commentResult, true)  auditLog.addAssociatedIssue(issue)  auditLog.addAssociatedUser(author)  auditLog.info("Comment added to ${issue.key}")
 } else {
  throw new IllegalArgumentException(commentResult.getErrorCollection().toString())
 }
}

As you see you can specify the user in line 5. (Our use cases are related to Version Control System changes, so we use the committer actor parsed from the Git/SVN/Mercurial log.)

The drawback is that you need to write the action's logic in Groovy. But we have quite a few sample you can use as starting point to automate comments, worklogs, transitions and status updates, editing fields and more.

Learn more details here.

(Discl: The app was originally developed for our internal needs, but we decided to publish this as a supported Jira app.)

2 votes
mburgess August 1, 2019

ditto

2 votes
rainer_smekal_r-software_at July 23, 2019

we would need this too.

2 votes
Paul Stahlke May 3, 2019
2 votes
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2018

Hey Mick,

Unfortunately we don't support this yet but we are tracking this at - https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-97

There are a few complications with around permissions and in particular permission escalations that we need think through.

We are working on some high priority items at the moment so I can't make an promises on dates for this. Sorry.

Cheers,

Nick [Code Barrel]
Co-founder

Michael Aglas September 1, 2022

Thx for nothing... closed with won't do...

Like Dan Stoodley likes this
1 vote
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2022

There is now an open issue with Atlassian (as Atlassian owns Automations for Jira these days): https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-254 

1 vote
Karine Houbrix July 9, 2021

Need to put "assignee" on a rule please ! 

1 vote
Balu June 22, 2021

+1 urgently needed!

1 vote
Mark B Wager April 14, 2021

+1 Vote! 

YES!  Please get this implemented in Jira Server. 

Thanks,

Mark

1 vote
Gomez_ Daniel October 23, 2020

this is working in jira cloud

1 vote
Gideon Abate June 11, 2020

Worse for me!

I'm getting spammed by updates to cases on Service Desk as the one who initially created those cases. Then it uses my user account to change workflow states which means I'm added as a watcher of every single Service Desk ticket!

1 vote
David Collins February 28, 2020

My company would love https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-97 completed as well.

The common Jira workflow post-function "Assign the user to the current user..." really messes with Jira Automation Plugin because it will always assign the issue to the rule actor. If the rule actor was the current user, this wouldn't be a problem.

0 votes
Alex MacDonald April 1, 2021

Me too.  

0 votes
Rahesh Ramachandran February 10, 2021

Is this feature released ??

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2020

We definitely need this in Data Center (and Server).

Bjoern Veith December 13, 2020

This feature is in DC and Server already available. This Thread was only about the cloud version, which did not had this feature few months ago. Since Atlassian delivered an update. This complete thread is obsolete. 

Go to your automation, -> rule details -> Actor.

Gabriel Barthe January 6, 2021

Hello @Bjoern Veith 

I don't see this feature in the server version? Are you sure is possible to select "User who triggered the event" as an Actor in the server version?

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2021

@Bjoern Veith Honestly, I don't think it is resolved.

Can you attach a screenshot about the related config option (from the Server or DC version of the app)?

0 votes
Jeff Santos October 28, 2020

Something just changed because now the issue being transitioned by the automation is being re-assigned to the Actor.

0 votes
Dawid Socha October 9, 2020

+1 I really need this one

0 votes
breno.ramos September 16, 2020

+1

0 votes
W Bot July 29, 2020

Rumor has it with tech support this is being worked on.

0 votes
Bjoern Veith July 29, 2020

This feature is a must and was available in the Server Version. Please include this asap

Mark January 27, 2021

+ 1 

0 votes
Fozia Khan July 15, 2020

Definitely need this one!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events