Is Big Gantt a subset of Big Picture?

Marilyn DeLuca February 26, 2020

We already have Big Gantt installed.  We have a request to install Big Picture and Big Picture Enterprise from our Program Managers as it has the features they are looking for.  I also understand that Big Picture also has Gantt charts.  Is Big Gantt a subset of Big Picture and do I need both? 

I do have users who will use Gantt charting but not the features of Big Picture. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2020

You do not need both. Big Picture includes the gantt chart features in Big Gantt, with the addition of program level features your program managers need. Last I looked, the licensing is based on the number of users in Jira, not the number of users actually using the app, so if you install Big Picture you can remove Big Gantt. (Install Big Picture first, make sure your settings for the gantt charts and projects are correct, then remove Big Gantt. 

-Scott

0 votes
Marcin Geb _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 18, 2020

Lately, there seems to be a trend of people migrating from BigGantt to BigPicture. You do not need both. Compare the two here:

https://softwareplant.com/biggantt-vs-bigpicture/

New Gantt chart (internally we call it Gantt 2.0) debuted in both BP and BG, but without a doubt, it's BigPicture that receives more attention from the development team. Note the landmark BigPicture version 8.

Now, why is BigPicture the better choice in the long term? BP evolves towards a standalone app, one day you'll be able to use BigPicture's own task manager, so you won't need Jira any more (which will bring you a significant cost reduction). Of course, you'll still be able to use BP as a Jira add-on. With BigGantt, it'll forever be a plugin for Jira.

While BigPicture ver. 8 is still an app for Jira, it has new, sophisticated portfolio management (new Overview module) with program increments and iterations; also as was already stated, all the modules, such as Scope, full Resources, Risks, Reports, that BG doesn't have. Only BP lets you add the Enterprise extension (What does BPE add on top of BP?)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events