Introducing Smart Links for Dropbox in Jira Cloud and Confluence Cloud

Hi Team!

I’m Jonno, the Product Manager working on the editor in our cloud products. Today I’m super excited to share some of the progress we’ve made in making that more delightful with our newest feature release. Learn more about our integrations with Dropbox here.

Files in a Slash

We know that even a few clicks can disrupt your flow, whether you’re writing a comment, page, or post. That’s why we’ve continued to add new slash commands to help you insert the right content at the right time. Now, by simply typing /dropbox in the editor, you can quickly find and insert files from Dropbox without ever leaving your typing flow. Add an important image, document, video, presentation, and more to give missing context to your Jira issue descriptions and comments and to Confluence pages and comments. 

Gif1.gif

The Smartest Links

Unformatted links make a page or comment look messy and hyperlinks can hide important context about where the link leads. With our new Smart Link experience, Dropbox slash command, files will be automagically inserted as an Inline link. This provides you and your team a nicely formatted link showing the link is from Dropbox and the title of the file. No more guessing!

image (4).png

Maybe you want to provide more context about the Dropbox file you’ve inserted? Simply switch your Smart Link view to a Card link to provide more detail, a thumbnail preview image of the content, some metadata, and buttons to take action. To get a full preview of the file, click the “Preview” button on the Card link to open an embedded preview. Here you’ll be able to see the entire file as if you were viewing and interacting with it directly in Dropbox! 

gif3.gifWe know that inserting and viewing links is a hugely utilized feature in the editor so we hope this helps you and your team move work forward without needing to context switch between Jira, and Dropbox. Let us know what you think about this new feature in the comments!

We’re just getting started with Smart Links so keep your eyes peeled for further updates soon 👀

12 comments

Comment

Christophe Mertz June 12, 2020

Hi,

this seems interesting. How can we benefit from this integration? It currently does not seem to work in confluence for us (we are using cloud confluence)

Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2020

Hi @Christophe Mertz this feature is currently rolling out so you'll see it within the next few weeks :)

Like Jonno Katahanas likes this
Guillaume June 23, 2020

The same for onedrive? Or pydio?

Like Brittany Sudlow likes this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2020

@Guillaume Smart Links for OneDrive is coming soon! Keep an eye out in the next few weeks for that announcement!

Rene Jansen September 19, 2020

Hi, I'm new to Confluence cloud and just setup a new site but I can't see this /dropbox feature yet. How can I enable this?  Thanks

Morgan Hillan October 28, 2020

Is there DropBox Paper integration planned as well? Currently it will only view/link items in the traditional dropbox folders.

This would be perfect for my team, if it linked paper docs too.

Like adrianne likes this
Hayley Young October 28, 2020

Will Dropbox Paper ever be supported? Almost all our documents are in Paper. @Brittany Sudlow any insight here?

Kako Kvantaliani October 30, 2020

Hi,

Should I install any app from Jira app marketplace? Nothing happens when I type /dropbox

John White November 20, 2020

Hi @Eduardo Anflor - MindPro and @Brittany Sudlow 

Just trying to link my DropBox Business account to my Jira Cloud setup but can't seem to find any settings. Is this still work in progress or am I missing something?

Thanks

John

Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
November 20, 2020

@John White no worries -- there is no setup in settings with smart links. When a Dropbox link is pasted in a Jira Cloud description or comment it will automatically re-render as a smart link. Then you, and others on the team can click the link to log into your Dropbox account to authenticate. Hope that helps.

Kale November 30, 2020

Getting an error while switching to card view 

Cookies are required to view this Dropbox content. You may need to enable them in your browser.

Cookies are enabled in by Chrome browser.

Patryk Szóstak
Atlassian Team
September 20, 2023

Hi,

is there a way to disable this as well?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events