Installing an app from the marketplace - error message

Carolin Keupp February 1, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Add-ons and plugins

I do not want to develop new add ons, but I want to install one from the Marketplace. I get the error message "This add-on cannot be installed without the Atlassian Connect framework. See our documentation for more information." What do I do?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2016

Connect add-ons can only be installed on Cloud systems.  The Connect framework is not there in Server.  You'll need to find an alternative.

What does the add-on you are trying to install do?  Or more importantly, what are you trying to achieve?

Thank you for your quick answer.

What I am trying to do is:

• I have a long list of FAQs (this should be the master list).
  • Now, I want to break this list down into separate lists which are relevant for different groups (e.g. media, applicants, employees).
  • I want to achieve that when I update a question in the master list (long list), the pages for the individual groups will update automatically. 

To achieve this, I had tried to add the "multi-excerpt macro" from the Marketplace.

Also, I believe that I have a cloud-based version of Confluence. At least, I did not install anything on my computer.

Thank you for your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2016

There's a couple of approaches to that.  Here's two broad starting points (there's more you can do with these, but get the basics right first)

1.  Create a huge long FAQ, install the "multi-excerpt macro" and create many excerpts on the long page.  Create a page for each group and use the macro to pull in the relevant FAQs into it.
  2. Create each FAQ as a page itself.  Then create pages for each group.  For each FAQ you want on a group page, use the "include" macro to pull it in.

I prefer the second approach by a long shot, not because the multi-excerpt macro is an add-on, it's really really good, but because you have short, focussed dedicated pages for each FAQ, and you can include them where and when you want.  You can use other listing macros to do the index page (e.g. children if you go that way), and play other tricks with page titles.

Hi Nic,

thanks again. I am appreciating your help so much. I understand both approaches. In fact, I am trying to go for approach 1 rather than 2 because we have a huge list of about 100 FAQs and it is much easier to find them all on one page rather than trying to find an individual page with an individual question on when you are making edits.

This is why I am desperately trying to install the multi-excerpt macro. And this is exactly my problem... I can't seem to find a way to install it. I always get the error message "This add-on cannot be installed without the Atlassian Connect framwework."

How do I install this macro?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2016

That's fine, I just prefer to work with option 2 myself. 

Could you check what version of Confluence you are on?  Look at the bottom of a page for the footer - it should have a version string on it.

Unfortunately, it only says "Powered by Atlassian", no version number.

My colleague has just made the account a week ago though, so I would suppose its a recent version.

I do have administrative rights. Do you know where else I can look it up?

I am sorry to be bothering you with this little things... I have been trying to figure out how to get this macro to install for hours now smile No success unfortunately.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2016

Ah, I'm trying to work out if you're on Atlassian Cloud, someone else's Cloud based offering, or your own servers.  The version would be a giveaway.

As an admin, you should be able to find it in "system information", but another quick test is "what is the url?"  If you are using something like http://yourcompanyname.atlassian.net then it's an Atlassian Cloud install.

Carolin Keupp February 2, 2016

Great. The URL is https://innoag.atlassian.net/wiki

It should be cloud-based since I do not believe that we installed anything on our computers. I've simply received a browser link.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2016

Definitely Cloud smile

The error you are getting suggests that the system thinks it is not though, or the add-on is mis-detecting server over cloud, which is odd.

One last thing before I refer you to Atlassian support - could you confirm the route you're taking to the install?  i.e. is it "log in as admin, go to add-ons, then find-add-ons, type in multi-excerpt, select it and then click install/free-trial?"

Carolin Keupp February 2, 2016

Yes, this is exactly what I am doing. After clicking on "Free Trial", then I get a box saying "Multi Excerpt may store your data on Artmeis Software's server so it can integrate with your Confluence instance. As needed for this integration, this add-on can: Read data from the host application. For more information...." Then I click on "Accept and install", and then I get the error message "This add-on cannot be installed without the Atlassian Connect framework."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2016

Ok, I think this needs to go to Atlassian support, as it looks like you're doing everything correctly - I'd raise it at https://support.atlassian.com

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events