Insight - show multiple attributes during data entry

Jon Hill May 1, 2018

When populating an Insight field whose type value is Object, is there a way to show more than just the Name of the object, either during data entry or later?

Our object type Database has two fields:  Name and Hosting Server.  We frequently have situations where a dev server will have a database with the same name as a prod server, so I could have these two Database records:

Name      Hosting Server
jira PPostgres1
jira DPostgres1

This wouldn't be a problem except that I also have an object type ("Service") that contains an attribute named Db that points to my Database object.  If I type App1 into that field, I see that there are two App1 objects but have no idea which is which.  If the dropdown could contain both the database's Name and its Hosting Server, that would make data entry a lot easier.

Alternately, I may need to create a new field called ActualName (e.g.) and update my source data to include a new field that is calculated as a combination of the database name and hosting server (e.g. jira (PPostgres1)).  I would then import this new field to Name and the source's Name field to ActualName.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ola_Melin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2018

Hi Jon, 

This is indeed an awesome feature to have and something we have implemented and will release with Insight 5.5 that is about to be released shortly. 

If you stay tuned on our documentation page https://documentation.riada.se/ we will launch a open beta of 5.5 in the near future. 

Cheers

Hanne Eide November 29, 2018

Hi, can't find anything about this feature. Using Insight 5.7.2. 

Ola_Melin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2018
Hanne Eide November 29, 2018

1 vote
Nick Lapetina June 23, 2020

I know it has been a year since this post, but has there been an update where you can select multiple objects?

0 votes
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2019

How does one implement a simple People object? I want to see the First Name and Last Name as attributes in selecting the object, but I need them as separate attributes for other purposes. I really need a way to indicate that the view name is different from the single label that is currently implemented.

0 votes
PhilSpo
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2019

This is exactly the same issue that I am having. 

Is there any plans to have this as new functionality?

Ola_Melin
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2019

Hi Phillip, 

Just added a response above here. We are talking about the feature. 

Cheers

PhilSpo
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2019

Okay thank you Ola.

Is there anywhere to vote for this request?

Cheers

Ola_Melin
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2019
0 votes
Deleted user February 20, 2019

Hi,

as far as I understand it, the feature mentioned above only applies to custom fields in Jira.

I would like to know, if it can also be applied to Insight itself. Exactly as Jon Hill described, I want to create a new object in Insight. This object has an attribute of type "Object" to reference other object(s). There are multiple objects with the same name (label), so I don't know which is which.

insight_multiple_objects.png

Is it possible to show multiple attributes at this point?

Ola_Melin
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2019

Hi fro, 

It is not at the moment. We are looking into this feature and are discussing it but we have no estimated release date yet.

Cheers

Deleted user April 2, 2019

Hi Ola,

thank you for your reply. Then we will work around it for now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events