Insight: how to decrease or compare an attribute value

Giulio Bonanome December 3, 2020

Hi everyone, I'm evaluating Insight (Cloud) as an asset manager, since we already use Confluence, Jira, Jira Service Desk and Bitbucket. 

I'm stuck on a use case that I believed would be really easy but it seems impossible to achieve 😢😢😢.

We have objects types like "Licenses" (or could be "Specific circuit board") with an attribute like "Quantity", since we don't need to track each License or Component.

When I create a reference inside another object (could be a "Person" for the License or a "Computer" for the specific circuit board) I would love to see the Quantity attribute of the referenced object decrease by 1.

Is there a way to achieve something like this? 

As a workaround I tried to create an automation triggered if the number of Inbound referenced objects is the same as the value of the Quantity attribute. So if I link 10 times a License with quantity = 10 I can for example update a status attribute. But I discovered that IQL lack any kind of counting function. 

Also if you export the list of objects you don't have a number for the inbound references of an object. 

Is there some undocumented way to achieve something like this? Any other related question found online mention deal with Groovy Scripts but I'm on a Cloud instance. 

Also if somebody has any workaround for my use case would be really great 😅

1 answer

0 votes
Giulio Bonanome December 9, 2020

I've open a ticket on Insight help center and was told that is not possible to achieve something like this on Cloud instances. There was a post-function trick available for server instances (as mentioned sometimes even in this community).

Just for future references, on Mindville public tracker there are several feature requests that would let me have a sort of inventory management (via automation or just via dinamic attributes):

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events