Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Insight - Multiple import sources for same Object type and lack of data manipulation capabilities

Hi,

I'm trying to build comprehensive CMDB with Insight, that'd consolidate information from different sources. I've encountered two main problem along the way and would like to hear community opinion on who you approach such cases.

Case 1.   There are multiple data sources, that contains some information about asset. For example, your AV system, Intune and SCCM, Monitoring and discovery tools. Each of this tools can enrich data about asset or update specific attribute. As each tool has its own information and attributes inside, it's close to impossible to use external datasources directly to update and enrich asset information. You can't specify only one attribute to update and leave other mandatory attributes intact. Import force you to specify all mandatory fields during import, assuming, that we'd add objects to DB, but there is no "attribute update from external source" mode. The only way I was able to partially compensate for this - is to build my own data collection and aggregation service, that presents data in required way. But it require constant maintenance and brake whole idea of having all your imports in one place.

Case 2. Somewhat related to Case 1. It's impossible to manipulate incoming data from external sources on Import. It's possible to apply some simple regex. But it's impossible to define static value for non-reference field or use any transformation functions. My workaround is the same as in Case 1.

Do you have any other ways to overcome such problems? Maybe some thoughts on CMDB design that could ease such use cases?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

426 views 3 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you