Insight: Automatically synchronize problem

Juhaina Almama November 16, 2020

Hi

I create an import configuration for import JSON file, but the Automatically synchronize did not insert the new data in the file. I need to use this configuration for update licences every time I make a new order (update or insert if it is new lisence)

Capture.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Hi @Juhaina Almama ,

just to be sure - what you are trying to do is setup import from the json file.

What I'm missing here is the object type mapping settings - you need to configure, how exactly these json data should be imported - map the records and its attributes to insight object types and its attributes.

Have you already configured this mapping? Thank you!

Juhaina Almama November 17, 2020

1- Creat Configuration

2- choose JSON Import 

3-  chose name, 

4- Import from file, file: AT-02-json (See import file1 in the attached).

5- Cron Expression: 0 0/5 14 * * ?

5- save Import configuration.

6- create predefined configuration -- close

7- I got object "JSON" 

8- Enabled

9- Synchronize

10- manual synchronize import the file successfully (see log3)

11- I update the file with new data for the next synchronize after 5 min, but it did not import the new data into the schemes see log2.

log1.PNGlog2.PNGlog3.PNG

Capture mapping 1.PNG

IMPORT file1.PNG

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

Hi @Juhaina Almama ,

thank you for sharing. I think your general configuration is ok, we need to look into these object type mappings and compare it to the json file structure. 

Would you please also share the information:

• structure of json file
  • what has changed between old and new version of json file
  • configuration of object type mappings

Thank you.

Like Juhaina Almama likes this
Juhaina Almama November 23, 2020

Hi Hana 

your replay give tips to rebuild the object type and configured the import setting again.

I will come with  result :-)

Thanks

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Juhaina Almama November 26, 2020

Hi

I will try to make my question more specific If Insight is not on my local PC  JIRA, how to make Automatically synchronize without uploading the imported file every time it has been updated.

I got what I need from manual synchronize, but it seems that I have problem with Automatically synchronize 

Best regards

Juhaina

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2020

Hi @Juhaina Almama ,

so, if I get it right, the problem is, that everytime you create new json file, you need to upload it to Insight manually, to be able to import it.

How do you create the new json file? Do you have some software for it?

Juhaina Almama November 26, 2020

Hi Hana

I copy the file manually now,

The Automatically synchronize keep trying to import the first uploaded file til I make new uploading

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2020

I think the only possible way is to automate the create and copy process, it is not possible to do more from Insight, it expects the file to be stored somewhere and you need to update it, if you want to upload new data.

Juhaina Almama December 2, 2020

I found that I need to save files in location and use the URL, I used this URL from my local PC

file://desktop-xxxx/Users/myuser-x/Documents/INTERN-Insight/OLD/AT-01.json

but I got error:

Error

Failed to connect to the JSON file specified

ERROR.JPG

I test the URL in my chrome browser and it work fin

have you any advice?

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

Hi @Juhaina Almama ,

this won't work, your Jira instance is not able to locate your local PC file.

Juhaina Almama December 4, 2020

can we no sync files from local PC? 

Regrads

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2020

Hi @Juhaina Almama ,

I would recommend you to discuss this topic with your IT department or in general with somebody, who takes care about your Jira instance installation. They should be able to provide you some appropriate way how to get the files from your PC to your instance. The possibilites depend on many factors.

JDave December 20, 2020

@Hana Kučerová If I am reading through this thread correctly - I have a csv file that we have setup automatic synchronization to occur once a day - it does not work.  We have the file moving to one of our jira servers - every night after midnight - the file is there - I am running data center - so putting it on the shared drive.   We are using the URL file reference (see below) - and I am getting nothing in any of the logs at all.  If I run the synchronization manually - works fine - data imports.    So - is this an issue - or are you saying that the the automatic synchronization does not work within Insight?Insight.JPG

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2020

Hi @JDave ,

I will try to explain. 

Insight needs the import file to be accessible to be able to process it, which usually means it needs to be stored at the server, where Jira is installed (it depends on the infrastructure). So, the question is, how to get the file there.

1) The easiest way - you can upload it manually using Upload file button in the import configuration form, which simply stores the file somewhere on a server to Jira folder (something like /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/...), which is accessible for Insight.

2) Somebody, who takes care about the server, provides you some way, some sort of tunnel, which enables you to deliver the file there. Again, it depends on the infrastructure and it is possible, that your admins won't want you to have such an access.

3) Download the file from some URL like http(s)://something. Again, this URL needs to be accessible from the server. You can't use file:///... this is a local protocol that can be used for local files, therefore for Insight it means the file is on the server instead of on your computer.

JDave December 20, 2020

The /shared-home is the shared directory for my Jira servers (running four node data center setup on Linux).  Insight has access to the directory, every night - I have an outside scheduler that replaces the file from the previous day - the uccx.csv file.  We have insight sync setup to run once daily and expect it just to pick that file up.   After the initial upload - will it look daily at the /shared-home location and pick up a new file (same name, same format - different content)?  So - I can get the file there every day - and it does update, at the same location - it just appears that the automatic synchronization does not run from within the import setup.

Juhaina Almama December 21, 2020

Hi  Hana

I saved the files in the server where  Jira instance installation, and it is working fine.

I just need to rename the new file every time I saved it.

Thanks for your valuable help in this issue :-)

Reagrds

Juhaina

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events