Insert multiple entries using Run and SQL Plugins

Thomas Hardin June 25, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set up Bob Swift's Run & SQL plugins so that you can insert multiple lines into a MySQL DB, rather than running the plugin several times?

What I would like to do is set up a Run form where users can select multiple choices, each choice would represent 1 entry into the DB.

Example: A user needs to request an enhancement, which has multiple impacts to a business area. The form would have sections like so:

• Request Number - Text - $req
  • Description of the request - Text Area - $desc
  • Business Area Affected - Select - $busarea
  • Impact on Business Area - Multiple select - $impact
    • Impact 1
    • Impact 2
    • Impact 3

Each entry into the DB represents 1 impact, so if the use selects more than one impact (3 in the case above), then there will be multiple entries into the DB.

With MySQL, I know I can write multiple Insert qeries, each seperated with a ";".

INSERT into Tbl_enhancements

(reqNBR, reqDESC, busAREA, IMPACT)

VALUES

($req, $desc, $busarea, $impact);

How can I set up the SQL Plugin so it knows to use the INSERT query as many times as there are impacts?

Since the impact is represented by $impact in the Run Plugin, how do I differentiate between each entry?

Has anyone done this before?

Does anyone have some examples that they could share?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2014

There are a few ways to solve this. You need some sort of logic.

1. Write an SQL function that takes the $impact as a parameter and figures out the inserts to run
  2. Write a small script (Scripting for Confluence) that implements logic to construct the SQL needed for 1 or more inserts. Then construct the wiki markup for the sql macro with the constructed SQL and evaluate it. Use the same logic techniques as How to generate choice values using SQL
  3. Similar to 2, but just loop of each selection and run the sql for just a single statement.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events