Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Insert custom field based on value of another custom field.

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me. 

I'm trying to create an automated rule that will allow me to insert a custom field into a ticket based on the value of another custom field that has already been added to the ticket.

More specifically, if I create a Task and during creation I select "Research" from a Taxonomy single-select list, then I'd like a Research custom field to be added to the task ticket. 

I don't believe there is an "out of the plugin" solution for this, but I'm not a developer and there may be one that I'm not aware of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Melissa

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader Jul 09, 2020

Hi Melissa - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You should be able to do this easily with Automation For Jira. Are you using Jira Cloud or Server? 

Here's some more information for Jira Cloud:

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

We already have Automation but there is no option I insert a custom field base on the value of another. 

John Funk Community Leader Jul 09, 2020

Do you have a rule created that you could post here? 

Basically you want to create is a Field Value Changed trigger. 

Then do an Edit issue action. 

There you should be able to set the field value. 

Yep, that's the rule I created, but there is no action to insert the custom field into the ticket. The field value for the custom field can't be set until the ticket has progressed through the workflow.

John Funk Community Leader Jul 10, 2020

So you want to update the field on a Transition - correct? 

And you want to set the value of a field based on the existing value of another field - correct? 

Can you share the rule you have created so far?

I found the answer elsewhere. Thank you!!

Like John Funk likes this

what was the answer?

I started with the trigger (if field = value) then new condition (jql) and then the action (Set Property Entity). It worked like a charm. 😀

Like John Funk likes this

Hi @melissa_kaiser @John Funk can you please share more details?

I'm looking for a way to show custom field & make it mandatory based on value selected in other custom field. 

not sure how to use "set property Entity", if that is the solution here.

Thanks

John Funk Community Leader Mar 10, 2021

Hi @Meital Adir  - First, it is always better to create a new question in the Community so everyone will see it and can respond to it. Putting it here will only be seen by the people in this thread. 

Second, you are not going to be able to this out of the box with Jira - you will need an add-on like JWME or ScriptRunner so you can do conditional validation. 

1 vote
John Funk Community Leader Oct 27, 2020

Hi Iman,

First, it is always best to create a new Question in the Community instead of adding on to previous questions. That way more people will see the question and not just those that have responded to this question. 

Second, instead of doing that through the advance settings, why not just create a Condition and use the Advanced Compare Condition. There you can compare the two fields. Then add a New Action component to do what you need. 

I'm trying to create an automation rule in Cloud;

On creation;

If Creator = Reporter

Action: Link all tickets in the project

I've tried;

resolution = Unresolved AND issuefunction in expression("project = TSD", "Creator = reporter")

But I get the error:

Field 'issuefunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

I am an admin for the project, any suggestions?

Hi Melissa, I am actually trying to do something similare as I need to populate Filed 2 (with 3 values in it) based on selection of field 1. Example:

Filed one have 3 values:  A, B and C

If Field 1 = A then Filed B should be (1,2,3)  

If Field 1 = B then Filed B should be (4,5,6)  

If Field 1 = C then Filed B should be (7,8,9)  

I am not expert in jql and not sure how to create a rule that will do what is needed.

Can you or someone help? 

I'm also trying to do the same. I'm using jira software cloud. Can someone help me with the solution

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

388 views 3 17
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you