Information on paid via vendor

Bertrams Lukstins July 21, 2021

Hey everyone - I'm struggling to find any information on how the paid via vendor works - could anyone provide some links? There's no info on this page and Google is not bringing anything up.

We're basically after answers to these two questions:

1. Is paid by vendor just a payment option, or does it also limits what the app can do on Jira, compared to Paid via Atlassian?

2. Can we have two of the same exact apps submitted, one with vendor payments and the other via Atlassian?

Thanks a lot!

2 answers

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

Hello @Bertrams Lukstins 

Paid via Vendor means the customers will make payment directly to you and not to Atlassian.

This means you will have to take care of the licensing, invoicing, purchasing, etc.

This comes with a lot of additional work unless you already have a licensing and purchasing mechanism for you. If you are starting fresh, I would recommend you to opt for paid via Atlassian since in that case, Atlassian takes care of all these things and you just have to concentrate on developing your application.

One additional thing: if your app is paid via vendor, you can sell a license with a fewer number of users as compared to the license for Jira (or the Atlassian tool for which your app works). For example, suppose your app works with Jira, your customer has a 500 user Jira license, then you can sell a 50 user license for your app. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same as Jira license (500 users).

With paid via Atlassian, your app's license needs to be of the same number of users as the Jira license.

You can not have same app with multiple payment options. You have to either select paid via vendor or paid via Atlassian.

I would recommend you to opt for paid via Atlassian.

Bertrams Lukstins July 22, 2021

Thanks a lot for the response! Do you have a source for the fact that we can't pulblish the same app twice, with two different pricing models?

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2021

Hi @Bertrams Lukstins 

Check the following page: https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/pricing-payment-and-billing/#what-payment-models-does-the-marketplace-offer

Its specified that "All apps integrate with an Atlassian product, and adhere to one of three payment models"

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 6.28.13 PM.png

Bertrams Lukstins July 26, 2021

Yes, but that's for the whole app or each publication of the app? Are there any rules that are stopping me from publishing the same app twice with different payment models? That's what I'm struggling to find anywhere.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

The "one of three payment models" is the key here.

You can not publish the same app twice with different payment models, your app must use only one model.  The marketplace listings only accept a single model.

However...  Yes, you could easily fork the app into two.  You could have two near-identical apps, maybe one called "My App" using the Atlassian model and a second called "My Flexible-licence App" which implements your own payment scheme.  Same vendor, same key words, link to the same documentation etc, just two slightly different apps.

(Obviously, if you are going to do that, please come up with something less clunky than "flexible-licence app" for a name!)

Bertrams Lukstins July 26, 2021

Thanks a lot, Nic for this inptus! On forking, is this based on your own experience or the Atlassian rules?

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

Both.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

All three, not just rules and experience, I've seen apps in the marketplace do it, I've seen the code modules that would allow it, and I've read the rule "one of three payment models"

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2021

Oh! I didnt notice that the above question was for you @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  and replied! :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2021

No problem - we should always answer if we have something useful to say, even if the question is aimed at someone (unless, of course, the question is something personal, like "how is the cat?" 🐱 )

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2021

Hi @Bertrams Lukstins ,

How it works is that paid via Atlassian is that you pay Atlassian and sends you the license. Paid via the vendor means that you need to contact the vendor and purchase the license directly from them.

Not all apps are purchase through and licensed by Atlassian. That's why there's this distinction.

I'm not aware that the exact same app on the same platform will license through the same place. Usually, its one or the other.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events