How to write condition of checking linked issue's summary for Create / Clone Issue(s) Post-function

Kris Han May 17, 2021

Hi everyone, 

As title, recently I faced a problem which is needing to write a condition of checking linked issue's summary on " Create / Clone Issue(s) ". This is because I want the workflow is checking whether there is already a linked issue  with same summary before creating linked issue. However, I stuck on writing this checking linked issue's summary condition. Could someone can help me on this? Thank you very much!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

Hi @Kris Han ,

you can use this Groovy script in the conditional execution section of the Create / Clone Issue(s) post-function:

!issue.getLinkedIssues().any{ it.summary == "A summary" }
Kris Han May 17, 2021

Hi  @David Fischer ,

Thanks for your answer. However, this answer will only for checking all linked issues, but not issues in an Epic. I am actually  looking for the condition which will check "issues in Epic" linked issues' summary. For "issue.stories", this will only return linked issues' ID not summary. Do you have any idea? Thank you very much!

Like John Funk likes this
Kris Han May 17, 2021

Hi @David Fischer ,

I think I found the answer what I need, really thanks for your help. Below is the answer for my question:

issue.stories.any{ it.summary == "summary" }

Thanks for everyone!

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

There are a couple of steps in this.

First, you need to look for the summary in the linked issues - https://library.adaptavist.com/entity/copy-field-value-from-linked-issue is about copying values, but could easily be modified just to check.

Second, you'd need to do the blocking.  This is going to be a problem for you though.  A post-function is too late.  To have a post-function check a value and stop you going further, you actually have to force a complete crash of the process, which can corrupt your data.

Instead, you should be doing this in a validator - these gracefully halt a transition.  They return either "true - validation passed" or "false, validation failed, and here's an optional error message to give back to the user"  

Kris Han May 17, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Thanks for answering my question. However, I have tried that link you posted for modifying to check linked issue summary but I fail. Could you help me to provide the script which can check linked issue's summary? Thank you very much! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events