How to write automation rule to update a field in ticket linked to a ticket in another project?

Arunkumar Chandran November 30, 2020

Hi All,

I'm having an Epic in project "ABC" which has stories linked to it from different projects "DEF", "GHI". I would like to write a automation rule for updating the priorities of linked stories from different projects "DEF" & "GHI" when their epic ticket's priority is updated.

Illustration:

Epic-1234 (project "ABC") has Story-234(project "DEF") & Story-345(project "GHI") linked to it.

Expectation:

When I update the priority field of Epic-1234, the priorities of the linked stories Story-234 & Story-345 should be automatically updated.

Please help on this.

1 answer

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2020

Hi @Arunkumar Chandran ,

I would recommend you to do it like this (I believe what you want to use is Automation functionality in Jira Cloud):

WHEN: Field value changed - Fields to monitor for changes: Priority

IF: Issue fields condition - Issue Type equals Epic

Branch rule / related issues: Type of related issues - Stories (or other issues in Epic)

THEN: Edit issue - Priority -> Copy Priority from Trigger Issue.

Be careful about the Scope of this automation. You would probably need to add all the three projects in it, to be able to seach for all the issues in the epic.

automation.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events