How to trigger another automation rule?

Jiri Kanicky June 1, 2020

I don't fully understand how this options works.

"Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule."

2020-06-02_01-21.png

I have several rules with trigger When Issue Created. But I need one to be fired first, because all the other depend on it.

How can I achieve that?

3 answers

3 votes
Jeff October 6, 2022

You'd need to create an automation Field and utilize that. 

For example: A field called Automation Order.

Your first Automation would trigger when the issue is created, and at the end of that automation you would add a step to set the Automation Order field to 1.

Then the next step would trigger when the automation order field is modified, and then it would have a condition set to fire workflow if the value is set to 1. As part of That automation, you would set the Automation order field to 2, etc so forth, until you have all your steps set.

You will want to externally document where these triggers are set, becuse otherwise when you want to troubleshoot it, you will have to go through all the project automations to find it.

cestep February 23, 2023

Great idea! I'll have to try this when I need fine-grained control.

I'd probably also hide this field and only unhide to troubleshoot.

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2020

Jiri,

Rules do not run in a specific order and there is a request to have this change made but does not seem to have much traction - https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-534

You would need to set it up for the rule to trigger the other rules checking the box like you stated and adjusting the rule to function in the order you need.  Or you will need to rewrite your current rule to incorporate the other when issue is created rules into it.  "Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule." is poorly documented (no documentaiton) but is not to difficult to use.  

Jiri Kanicky June 1, 2020

But how can I configure which rule should trigger the rule where I check the box?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2020

Jiri,

The "Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule." is not documented well.  You can submit a support ticket to get additional information but this is how I have used it in the past and you might have to play around and test it to make sure your automations are working the way you want them to.  Here is my example.  I have a rule that would create an issue when conditions were met. With that rule I wanted a subtask to be created if certain conditions were met.  When the rule fired to create the issue via the automation the subtask was never created.  If I checked the box on the subtask rule then the subtask was created because the rule 1 (issue created) would then fire off rule 2 (create subtask)  Hope that makes sense, there is not really anything you do to link them together.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Arun Makhija September 18, 2022

After setting this in Rule#2, "Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule." - It probably means the trigger could come from another Automation Rule (say Rule#1)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events