How to store plugin data in Jira Cloud?

Preethi H R July 14, 2022

Hi,

I am trying to build a plugin on Jira Cloud using Forge. I have built few plugins on Jira server/data center using Atlassian SDK, in which all the data was stored using Active Objects. But in Jira Cloud, I am not getting any ways to store data on Jira Cloud.

Can anyone please help me to know how to store plugin data on Jira Cloud?

Thanks & Regards,

Preethi H R

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2022

Hi @Preethi H R ,

You'll most likely get better answers in the Developer Community. But since you asked:

There a multiple ways to store data with a Forge app. I believe the two mostly used ways are the Storage API and the Properties API. Which one to pick depends a bit on the data you want to store, but at this point neither is suited for very large and complex data sets.

It is theoretically possible to use an external storage layer, whether that's worth the extra effort is up to you.

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Preethi H R July 17, 2022

Hi @Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_ ,

Can you please let me know how the other developed plugins on Jira Cloud are managing to store large data?

If It is theoretically possible to use an external storage layer, can you please attach any reference documents which would guide me through How to use external storage layer to store Plugin data in Jira Cloud?

It would be really helpful if you guide me through this.

Thanks & Regards,

Preethi H R

Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2022

Hi @Preethi H R ,

Can you please let me know how the other developed plugins on Jira Cloud are managing to store large data?

I'm afraid, I do not know how each individual marketplace is written. However, I would assume that those apps that do store extensive amounts of data currently are not written in Forge, but rather using the Atlassian Connect framework. 

If you are planning to build an app that will need to store lots of data, I suggest going with Atlassian Connect and start here.

Best regards,

Oliver

Preethi H R July 18, 2022

Hi @Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_ ,

Thank you for your responses. They would help me for sure.

With Regards,

Preethi H R

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events