How to set a reminder in JIRA with the Automation for JIRA tool

kevin heaney July 22, 2020

Hi,

Wondering if there is a way to enable a rule within the Automation add-on or within JIRA so that ticket asignee's are sent an email 5 days prior to the due date and then 24 hours prior to the due date.

Is this possible?

Thank you

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2020

Hi Keven - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, we do that a lot. Attached is an example of one we send 14 days prior to the Effective Date (sub out Due Date for your purposes). 

screenshot.png

kevin heaney July 23, 2020

Great, thanks for the quick reply, I'll give this a shot!

Like John Funk likes this
kevin heaney July 28, 2020

Hi John, thanks again, finally getting back around to this. Our Test instance doesn't allow for email sends so I"m not able to test it that way before setting live and wanted to check on something:

MarketingEmailNotification5Day.PNGis IMIN your project name? So if we want this to apply to our "Marketing" project and then sending an email only to the person who the ticket is currently assigned to, 5 days prior, would this seem correct?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2020

Yep, that seems to be correct. You should be able to validate your query first within the rule. So see if that says it is returning the number you think it will do. 

Also be sure to use it as a single project only under the project details (and choose Marketing of course). 

Like kevin heaney likes this
Dustin Le March 26, 2021

I'm getting an error with backlog pullable saying it doesn't exist for the field status. Is there a way to fix this? 

EZmob April 8, 2021

create a custom field or switch it for your due date field

0 votes
Neelesh PB December 27, 2022

Sir, Create 2 filters in the name of assignee. Set one filter for 5days prior to the due date and other for one day prior to due date. Then on the right end of the filter you can see three dots( ...) . Click on that, you can see the option " Manage Subscription". Click on it. Now you can see button "Add Subscription" click on it. Then select recipient, schedule and click on Subscribe and Run now.

0 votes
Christine Corona October 4, 2022

Does anyone know if you can use automation to allow a user to set a reminder on an issue dynamically (even if it involves creating a custom field)? My suspicion is no, and I've found some add-ons to accomplish this, but thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had leveraged Automation to this extent.

Use Case: User is working on an issue. User goes into issue and wants a reminder sent (either to just them or to other users as well) with a message to follow up on this in xx days/weeks/months (dynamical variable)

Thanks in advance for any input,

Christine

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2022

Hey Christine - What is your exact scenario?

Christine Corona October 5, 2022

Hi @John Funk 

Say there are issues that a user is reviewing in their backlog (or in progress). They want to follow up to see progress or to be reminded 'hey this needs to be worked on' and that reminder is some dynamic time they choose, different for each issue. Also, the reminder could go to them personally and/or other users within Jira. One issue they may want to follow up in 3 days, another issue 3 months, and yet another issue 1 year later from the day they are going into the issue and reviewing things. 

Is there a way to leverage Jira Automation for this type of scenario?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2022

Very good - thanks for the information. 

I would create a custom date field to store the "Follow up Date" or whatever you want to call it. Then you could create an Automation for Jira rule that sends an email based on a Scheduled Trigger and a JQL query for the date range. 

Christine Corona October 6, 2022

Thanks for the input @John Funk, I did go with creating the custom field, Follow up date, as a date picker field and then created the automation to run daily to pick up any issues that were due at the startofday(), which then generates the email notification perfectly. 

Thanks so much for talking through the solution with me!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Great! Glad that worked for you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events