How to send email to all assignes inside Epic when one of the issues inside Epic is Done

marek wyroslak September 13, 2018

Hi,

I am having some issues with making it work the way I need to. I will try to explain the best way I can. 

We organize our work by Epics and tasks inside them. Lets say I have Epic with 3 tasks all assigned to someone else. Task#1 is set to Done and I want Automation to send email to assignees of Task#2 and Task#3 saying that Task#1 is Done. Then repeat the procedure when Task#2 is Done. 

How do I make it work in Jira Automation? 

1 answer

0 votes
Brandon Kain July 17, 2020

I have done a similar concept that may help you, or future people who may google a similar question and end up here hoping to find an answer.

Jira Automation:

Trigger:

When an Issue is transition from any status (or specific states it should be coming from) to Done status.

Action:

• Then: Lookup Issues using JQL query

Query Example:

parent = {{issue.parent.key}} *This will get all Issues with the same parent Issue that triggered the rule*

AND

assignee != EMPTY *This will get all Issues that have someone assigned to them*

AND

status in ("<Enter status here>") *You might want to only notify people who have tasks in a certain status*

AND

issuetype = "<Issue Type>" *This will only get a specific Issue Type if you only want to notify people that are working on design stories, build stories, bug fixes, etc.*

• And: Create variable

smartValue = smartValueName *like emailList*

Smart Value = {{lookupIssues.assignee.emailAddress}} *This takes the above Query results and creates a new list that includes only the email addresses of each assignee. Now if someone has many Issues assigned to them, their email address will appear in this list many times. However for the next part (sending the email) this will not matter as when you have many entries of the same email address in the "To:" field, it will only send it once*

• And: Send email

To: {{smartValueName}} *like {{emailList}}*

Subject: <text or smartValues>

Content: <text or smartValues> *You can use smart values to include details such as assignee of Issue moved to Done status, the summary or key of the Issue moved to Done status, etc.*

Luke Saturday
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 15, 2023

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events