How to remove closed sprints from a structure

Lars Sundell February 4, 2019

I am trying to set up a structure that shows the issues planned for current and future sprints (including the backlog).

The following automation is set up:

structure setup.PNG

"insert issues from"  is set to add non-epics.
The problem is that the filter "Show Sprint: Active ...." does not seem to have any effect:
structure closed sprints.PNG

The problem is that if a issue has been moved trough sprints the sprint field includes many spint values, typically 1, 2, 5, 6, 10 and so on.
It then ends up in all those sprints. The filter does not seem to have any effect. 

I can get rid of the closed ones by adding another filter like "resolution != unresolved", but the ones still open will be shown in all sprints they have been part of. 

I would expect them to end up in the backlog. How can I achieve that?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Wasiak July 16, 2021

Has anyone from Structure acknowledged this as a bug?

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 19, 2021

Hello Martin,

David from ALM Works here.  This is currently a limitation in the Filter Generator.

The solution presented by Mario in response to the original question does work though.

You will want to utilize Transformations rather than Generators to add the "Active Sprint" filter to your structure.

To see if this works for you:

• turn automation "off" by clicking on the automation button (you should see the generators, orange text, disappear. they are still working in the background)
  • select the transformation and/or the quick transformation icons (highlighted in image)
  • click on the add structure transformation option that is now available
  • select Filter
  • select Hide Closed Sprints

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.02.08 PM.png

Christopher McConnell May 31, 2022

Found that even this did not work, so utilized a jql filter: sprint not in closedSprints() - this let me get active, and upcoming sprints as well for planning purposes. 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Mario O.G
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2019

Hi Lars, 

How are you? 

As Piotr mentioned, for now, the workaround would be to use the (Hide Closed Sprints) generator as a quick transformation.

Quick Transformations: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/YLDrAQ

Currently, The Hide Closed Sprint generator only works when applied to a sub-structure (Insert > Structure) 

We already have an improvement task for this limitation, and we'll be evaluating where this fits into our roadmap.

I'll make sure to post an update on your question if and when it becomes available.

(Thank you for using Structure).

Mario O.G

[ALM Works]

Jesper Nielsen January 28, 2021

Hej Mario - any further progress on these improvements? I would love to be able to hide closed sprints both when inserting Sprints as a column, and not having them shown when e.g. grouping by sprints

Martin Wasiak July 16, 2021

Hi Mario and Piotr,

Where are we with improving Structure to overcome this limitation?

Ryan Belmont August 18, 2021

We'd also like an update on when this will be resolved, or at a minimum when Quick Transformations will be available for Structure Cloud? We have a potentially great report we want to use that is rolling up number of tickets and story points by sprint by developer, but the rollup is functionally useless right now because it's counting the same tickets repeatedly if they're being carried through multiple closed sprints. It feels like this should be a much easier fix?

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 20, 2021

Hello Ryan,

David from ALM Works here.

We don't have a timeline to share just yet.  I have made a note of your interest so that we can provide an update when a solution is available.

Best Regards,
David Niro
www.almworks.com

Rthomas November 3, 2022

Any update here?

Ryan Belmont June 27, 2023

Would love an update on this, any plans to address this issue?

2 votes
pgierasi February 12, 2019

As a workaround you can add structure transformation Filter (Hide closed sprints). It works for me. 

1 vote
Anchel Labena July 6, 2020

I've tried every single suggestion in here, but no matter which way I go through, from using a quick transformation to hide closed sprints to applying a generator when inserting as a sub-structure, but I still keep seeing most of the closed sprints no matter what.

Can anyone help explain why this is a thing? As it has been explained in other posts, if a task has been moved from one sprint to the next, it will keep getting duplicated under every closed sprint it's been a part of, instead of just showing me the currently active sprint and future sprints.

image.pngimage.png

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2023

I got the same problem now :(

0 votes
Stepan Kholodov _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2023

Hello everyone,

The Group by Sprint generator was just improved - now it has the 'Avoid duplicates: only show issues in their latest sprint or backlog' option included in its configuration. This feature allows to only consider Active/Future Sprints and Backlog values for grouping, without creating any Closed Sprints-based groups.

Please feel free to try it and if you need any assistance - please reach out to us directly at our support portal.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
Tempo

0 votes
sdua May 17, 2020

I am using Structure cloud, Is this issue resolved ? I want to see last 6 Sprints only (Closed or Open). 

I am facing same issue: The problem is that if a issue has been moved trough sprints the sprint field includes many spint values, typically 1, 2, 5, 6, 10 and so on. SO I see old sprints also. 

Lars Sundell May 18, 2020

I did find a workaround for this that works quite well (We have server, but I guess it would work in cloud as well):

Add an automation filter->JQL Query with the following query: "sprint in openSprints ()"

On my side I still see some closed sprints, but the list is much shorter. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events