How to prevent from closing an Epic when it's stories/tasks are not closed

Orly Dahan December 21, 2020

I would like to add a condition to a workflow in order to prevent closing an Epic when it's stories/tasks are not closed.

I understand that I need to use scriptrunner, but I don't know how and exactly do I need to write?

Can you please advise?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

Hi Orly,

I can confirm this requirement can be achieved using Workflow Conditions or Workflow Validators with ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud and I can confirm the question located here explains how to do this for your reference.

Regards,

Kristian

1 vote
Answer accepted
Irfan Mazuki January 4, 2021

Hello @Orly Dahan

It is possible to do so with ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud. You can add a Scripted Condition in the closing Workflow Transition to run a script which ensures that all Stories in the Epic is completed. The script would look something as below:

// Validate that all issues below an Epic must be in the Done status before the Epic issue itself can be closed.
// The isEpic paramater returns true if the issue is an Epic and false if it is any other issue type
// The stories paramater returns all the issues below the Epic issue to allow there status to be checked. 
issue.isEpic && issue.stories.filter(story => story.status.name == 'Done').length == issue.stories.length //You may also want to set the Error message to have text similar to 'You must ensure all issues inside the Epic are in the Done status before the Epic issue can be closed'

Note: You might need to edit the script to suit your instance.

If you'd like to get more information, you can refer to the following links:

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Irfan

Orly Dahan January 4, 2021

Hi Irfan,

Thanks!

I downloaded the JMWE which solves this in a very simple way.

amit_m January 26, 2023

Hi Orly, can you please help and explain what you did to stop it? :) 

Orly Dahan January 30, 2023

Hi Amit,

We found a solution that does not involve ScriptRunner.

We downloaded JMWE app which adds options to configure the workflows.

It's very eazy to use

Orly

amit_m January 30, 2023

Hi, 

Thanks, do you have any documentation or links to share? :) 

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

Actually, the right documentation is here: https://appfire.atlassian.net/l/cp/2b81MLj0

0 votes
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2020

I believe you could achieve this with ScriptRunner, but I'm not a ScriptRunner expert.

But you can also achieve this with a Linked Issues Status Validator from our JMWE app, which doesn't require any scripting for that.

Orly Dahan December 23, 2020

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events