Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to make one Automation trigger another

I have two automations currently set up. One simply sends a message to a slack channel, the other sends that same slack channel a list of Jira tickets in a certain status. I want to make the message come through before the list of tickets, or in other words, make it so that the message triggers the list automation. 

I have checked the box on the list automation to allow other events to trigger it but I am not sure how to link it to the automation that sends the message. I assume its a new condition (if automation A is successful then perform automation B) but I cant seem to find one that works. Could someone point me in the right direction?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Daniel Barber 

Does it need to be in two separate rules?

I tried this using Email rather than Slack - but try this:

1. Trigger: <<Trigger Here>> - I used Issue Created so I could test without a schedule.
  2. Action: Lookup Issues - JQL: <<Insert JQL Here>>
  3. Action: Send Slack Message 

For message content, use:

{{#lookupIssues}}
* {{key}}
{{/}}

^ The first action looks for the results of the JQL filter - then, the second action includes both a message and one list of issues based on the lookup, in one message. 

You can refine what information is included using the list of available fields on this page.

As I say I haven't tried this with Slack - but does this differ to how you were doing it? 

Let us know if it works :)

Ste

This worked like a charm! It allowed me to list these issues in a single notification which also allowed me to have that single message that I wanted. Much appreciated.

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Aug 14, 2020

Hi Daniel,

What is the action that causes it send a message to Slack? There's not really an on Success trigger or Condition like that.

Its just a When:Schedule + Then:Send Slack Message automation. Same for the list automation. 

Basically, if the filter used contains multiple tickets, it sends individual notifications for each ticket. This means that if I put a message at the beginning (e.g. In Code Review), this gets repeated for each ticket and becomes cumbersome. The goal is the first automation for the message only is a singular message "these tickets are in Code Review" followed by the second automation with the list.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

80 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you