How to hide all other states except the Final state from non-collaborators/reviewers in Comala?

davin April 7, 2021

Hello,

Just started to use Comala today, so please excuse me if its a silly question.

I created a basic workflow and was testing it out with a colleague. He is able to see the "View In Progress" link, clicking on which takes him to a draft version of the page that I was editing and is not yet approved. 

Is there a way to limit non-collaborators or non-reviewers whom I've not specifically added to the workflow to not view any other state except the current Approved (Final) state?

My aim is to limit the drafts to only those who are working on the changes to view them and not to rest of the folks. Everyone else not involved should only see the current Approved (Final) version of the page.

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
James Conway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2021

Hi Davin,

Interesting question... definitely not a silly one!

By default in Comala Document Management drafts are shown to Space Administrators and Page Editors (as defined by Confluence permissions).

If you want to restrict the visibility of In Progress versions to the collaborator and your reviewers you need to add page edit restrictions to limit the ability to edit the page to the user that initiated the change and the reviewers group. You can do this automatically with your workflow using triggers and action macros as explained in the other post you mentioned and a 'value reference' to the user.

To prevent non-collaborators or non-reviewers from viewing a page that does not have an approved version, we add view page restrictions to the page creator and the reviewers group.

All types of restrictions are removed when the page in approved.

I have prepared an example workflow below to show the basic functionality:

{workflow:name=Example of hiding In Progress state from non-collaborators}
{state:In Progress|approved=Approved}
{approval:Review|group=reviewers}
{state}
{state:Approved|final=true|updated=In Progress|hideselection=true}
{state}
{trigger:pagecreated}
{add-restriction:type=view|user=@user@|group=reviewers}
{trigger}
{trigger:statechanged|state=In Progress}
{add-restriction:type=edit|user=@user@|group=reviewers}
{trigger}
{trigger:pageapproved|approval=Review}
{remove-restriction:type=edit}
{remove-restriction:type=view}
{trigger}
{workflow}

If you have any further questions please let me know here. If you would prefer more detailed support you can contact our friendly support team anytime at https://support.comalatech.com 

Kind regards

James
Senior Product Manager

davin April 8, 2021

Hey @James Conway 

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. As I mentioned, I'm just a couple of days old in Comala so I need to playaround more to understand and implement this but I get the crux of what you mentioned so will now go ahead and try it out.

Thank you again so much. Will get back to you if I face a problem. :)

0 votes
Lennart Kerl February 20, 2023

Hey @davin 
Were you able to use @James Conway example workflow to solve the problem?
I have the same problem as you and unfortunately I could not solve it yet.

My aim is also to make the draft version accessible only to the author or a specific group (e.g. process owners). All other employees should only be able to see the currently published version. I tried the sample workflow from @James Conway  but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

I hope you can help me out here!
Thank you.

davin February 20, 2023

Hey @Lennart Kerl 

Comala by default would only allow the editor and the admins to be able to view Drafts (unpublished pages).

If you do want to add a set of people who can edit drafts, you can use the Add Restriction Macro in the code to give edit rights to specific users or groups.

Basically how it works is anyone who has "edit" access can see drafts, anyone with only "view" access sees only the published version.

0 votes
davin April 7, 2021

@James Conway I saw your response to this thread.

But I do not want to change restrictions of the page. I just don't want the "In Progress" version of the page to be visible to anyone else apart from the person who initiated the change and the reviewers/collaborators group.

In short, everyone not involved in the change should only see the Approved (Final) version of the page and not any other State versions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events