How to get a prompt for a field once the issue is moved from one status to another

Siddharth Jain June 24, 2020

I have a task workflow which has four status - To Do, In Progress, Review, Done

There is a field name 'Code Owner' in the tasks

So the requirements is that when the status of the task is moved from In Progress to Review & the Code Owner field is Blank, then either there should be a pop up asking for Code Owner field to be filled or it should show a validation to mark Code Owner field

Thanks,

Siddharth

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2020

Hi @Siddharth Jain  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can either use Automation For Jira and populate the Code Owner field automatically based on other information already in the ticket. 

Or you can place a second (and therefore new) Transition to the Review status with a Transition Screen that prompts the user to fill in the value. You would put a Condition on this new Transition to only show up of the Code Owner field is blank. Then go back and put a Condition on the existing Transition to Review that makes sure the Code Owner is not blank. 

Either of those should work for your need. 

Siddharth Jain June 29, 2020

Hi @John Funk thanks for this. The first solution worked

In the second approach,I am not sure how to get a prompt for a field once the issue is transitioned to the different status. Please help with this

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2020

Sure - you need to create a new screen with just the field you want to prompt for. Once that is done, then Edit the transition to attach the screen with the field. 

Siddharth Jain July 7, 2020

Hi John,

I am new to JIRA and am struggling to create a new screen. Can you please guide me on this

Regards,

Siddharth

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2020

Go to Settings > Issues > Screens then click on Add screen button. 

Like Benjamin Löhrer likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events