How to develop Jira Plugin once and make it working for both Jira Software and Jira Cloud?

Mike He July 15, 2021

Hi experts,

I'm new to Jira world. And I need to develop a plugin for both Jira Software (local installed) and Jira Cloud. From my initial investigation, there are several ways to develop plugins for Jira.

1. Atlassian SDK for Jira Plugin (altas-create-jira-plugin)
  2. Connect framework for Jira Cloud
  3. Forge platform for Jira Cloud

I hope I can develop once and use it in both Jira Software and Jira Cloud, can the plugin developed by option #1 Atlassian SDK work for both Jira Software and Jira Cloud?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks,

Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

I'm afraid there is no way to do this.

Jira Server and Jira Cloud are very different pieces of software, and have totally different frameworks for apps.  You can't install Server apps on Cloud, they're completely the wrong shape for the framework (that non-Atlassians can get at anyway), and Server has no support for running Cloud apps.

If you write an app for Server/DC, you may find you can reuse bits of it, or at least the logic within it in a Cloud app (and vice-versa), but the "packages" you create and deploy are completely different.

So, I would look to having two streams of work, possibly with some shared code, but one for each framework.  I'd use the SDK for the Server/DC app, and look to Forge for the Cloud version.

Mike He July 15, 2021

Thank you Nic for your quick reply.

So I have to create two apps, that's almost double effort. :(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events