How to customize a dashboard per user without setting up a separate one for each of them??

Nelly Matveeva July 16, 2021

Hello everyone! 

I have a use case that I would appreciate help from the community here. 

Our company grants access to jira to our clients and not only employees. We have configured it so that they were only able to see the projects they are in, their tasks and the work logs, if that's smth they want to see. When they log in, however, the first thing they see is the System Dashboard that does not include too much meaningful information for them except for the "Assigned to me" gadget and "the Activity stream". 

It would be great, if there were some options to customize the dashboard to show some project progress relevant stats such as qty of new tasks, qty of done, qty of blocked, etc. Sometimes, the customers' team is more than one person and thus, they would benefit, if they were able to see the contribution of their coworkers as well. 

The only way to set it up now is to create a separate dashboard for each customer (i.e project or a group of projects ) and advise them to flag it as their favourite. That approach even though possible is not a user-friendly one, as the projects and customers stay with us for several years and their teams change (people come and go) and that would need to be communicated every time. 

Ideally, I am seeing this as follows: 
- System dashboard is set up with widgets available in jira
- The widgets have a setting to set filter automatically to show the content/stats for currentUser. 

Thus, once they log in they can see the stats only for the projects without a need to manually set that up and communicate. 

I have tried to play with creating universal filters with JQL with not much of a success. 
Does anyone have any tips, suggestions for the add on apps maybe? Please advise and don't hesitate to share your ideas. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

@Nelly Matveeva 

You can have your Jira admin update your system dashboard to display helpful information to all the customers that access the application.  All you need to do is make sure that the filters are very broad and will capture all projects, issues, etc that you would like to display to your customers.  Since your customers are limited by what they can see at the project level information not pertaining to them will automatically be filtered out.  This way the dashboard will contain helpful information that will be targeted to each customer based on their project access.

Nelly Matveeva August 5, 2021

@Brant Schroeder Thanks a lot for taking the time and suggesting the solution. Played with it a bit and it seems to be working. Need to tweak filters a bit and the goal will be achieved. :)

Like Brant Schroeder likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events