How to create an automation when one issue blocks another?

fulya February 24, 2022

Hello everyone, 

I have a question that I cannot quite be sure of how to do...

My columns are as follows:

Backlog -> To do -> In Progress -> On Hold -> Review -> Done 

We do link some issues to each other - sometimes as "blocks" and other times "is blocked by". I would like to create an automation to do two things:

• to carry an issue to "Backlog" if there is any other issue blocking
  • to carry an issue to "To do" if there either is no other issue blocking or the blocking issue is already on "Done"

Can anyone support me with this query since I am all greek when it comes to JQL.

Thanks in advance! 

2 answers

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2022

Hi @fulya ,

As @Josh Costella already described this can´t be done with only jql as there is also action needed.

Furthermore I even see 2 automation rules here.

• the first one triggered by any issue linking of "blocking"
  • the second one I´m not even quite sure about the trigger:
    • when issue moved to "Done" AND has blocking list AND check if destination issue has no other blocking issue or 
    • or when blocking issue link is deleted

Hope this helps.

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2022

Hi @fulya 

These are my suggestions if I got your requirements right:

• #1:
    • given: issue link of type "blocks" is created
    • when: blocked issue is not in done or backlog
    • then: transition issue that was blocked to backlog

image.png

• #2: 
    • given: issue is transitioned to done
    • when: condition that this issue blocks another one
    • then:
      • identify the issue(s) that are blocked by the triggering issue
      • check issue(s) that were blocked if there are still other issues blocking
      • if not --> transition to "To Do" (in my example "selected for development)

image.png

Hope I got your requirements correctly and this helps.

Best
Stefan

Like Remi likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2022

@fulya 

any feedback on this?

Best
Stefan

0 votes
Josh Costella
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2022

Hi @fulya 

You won't be able to accomplish what you are trying to do with just JQL. You would need to use automation. 

Here is a quick example of what you can do to accomplish what you are looking for. This would take care of the Backlog move.

automation.jpg

fulya February 25, 2022

Thanks for your answer Josh.

Though I believe I also need to add some other condition as "Don't apply this automation if the linked issues are all done" or else, I would never able to move any issue with linked issues to the done status. Do you have any idea about this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events