How to copy values from a custom multi-select field and add components that don't exist

Renato September 24, 2019

Is it possible to use Automation for Jira plugin (Cloud) to copy values from a multiple-selection field into the issue "Components" field AND, if a corresponding component doesn't already exist in the project, append unexisting components to the project too?

Context
We have components shared across multiple projects. In order to avoid the need to manually copy them across projects, we handle those as a multi-selection text field.
That works fine and made our lives easier. However, we miss some "out of the box" functionality from Jira and certain plugins such as "Portfolio" grouping, that cannot use custom fields.

It would be perfect if I could add an "automation rule" to simply copy the values from a custom field [Solution Components] into the issue "Components" field when the issue is updated Also, silently appending any component that doesn't already exist in the project.

If not possible using "Automation for Jira", then building some code to GET and POST components via REST API would be the alternative solution (which I'm hoping to avoid).

Thanks,

Renato

1 answer

1 vote
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

Worst case, if this is not possible with Automation for Jira (which I don't know), you can use another app such as JMWE to achieve that. 

Renato September 25, 2019

Thanks @David Fischer 
I'll give it a try if I cannot find a solution using Automation for Jira

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events