How to copy a description from one issue to another when I hnow her ID

Pavol Franek February 17, 2021

Hello, I want ask for help. I have created one issue (task) with specific description. Now with jira automation I create lot of stories where I want to field Description was filled with content from my issue (task).

Example: I have created in backlog issue task1(ID = IS_1) with description ABC. Now I start jira automation which create lot of stories... and some of these stories should have description laoded from task1(ID = IS_1) with description ABC

I try this: 
{{key=IS_1}} {{description}} but not working because automation is not started from task1. If I start automation from task1 then it is working but this is not applicable to me.

Any idea how copy content from one issue to another when I hnow ID of source issue?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

Hi Pavol,

Please try this:

{{triggerissue.description}}

ABC

hi @John Funk I can't use this because it takes information from issue which triggered automation. But I need to get that information from an independent issue task1(ID = IS_1) whose ID I know but is not a part of jira automation.

task1 - independent issue in backlog
jira automation - create independent issues which have nothing common with task1 only that they are on a common project

So simple:
task 1 have description "ABC" 
now i start jira automation from independent issues and i just need to jira automation look for information in task1 where I know issue ID (ID = IS_1) and take these information to issues which will create. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

If they have nothing in common and are not the trigger issue, how would you ever be able to retrieve data? Is it always the same task 1 that you are pulling the data from? Meaning will you always use the same issue key for that? 

If so, you might be able to implement a Branch that uses JQL to identify the value. 

OK

Ignacio Yaselli May 25, 2021

Hi, is there any movement on this? I am having the same question

Use case:

We have a project in jira where we have templated the content of most issues we create. 

We would like to use automation so that once triggered, the relevant subtask are created. Each of the subtasks, needs to have data from the "template" (we know the issue ID). 

Thanks

Like GC likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events