How to bulk edit an Assignee to Unassigned?

Paul daRe April 3, 2024

The current assignee for ~100 issues is no longer with the company, and we would like to change the assignee to Unassigned.   

Tried Unassigned, EMPTY, NULL, and none of them worked.  The User Picker only lists actual users.bulkEditNotWorking.PNG

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2024

Hi Paul - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It looks like you are trying to update a custom field and not the system Assignee field which has built in functions for assigning/unassigning. For the custom field, you will just need to clear the field. So instead of putting in Unassigned, just leave the box blank. That will clear the value for the field. 

Paul daRe April 5, 2024

How did I overlook that?

Thank you, John!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2024

Great! Glad I could help. 

0 votes
Dexter de Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2024

Hi @Paul daRe ,

Welcome to atlassian community.

You can create an automation then add the jql that filters all the issue you want to update. Then add action edit fields - assignee - set to unassigned.

Paul daRe April 5, 2024

Thanks, Dexter.  Unfortunately, I do not have permissions to create automations.  John Funk's solution worked great.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events