How to automate the status workflow in Jira

kiana.ranjbar February 13, 2020

Our team is working with a classic project that has 7 different boards. 

- Design board

- Scrum team 1

- Scrum team 6

- Test board 

What we want is to be able to move an issue from one board's "Done" column to the next board's "In-progress" column. We want this process to be automated to avoid redundancy throughout the board.

I have tried to make this happen with "workflow diagram" under "project settings." Will this solve my problem? If so, could I receive further instructions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2020

You would need to use an app in order to automate the transition, like JSU, Automation for Jira, Scriptrunner, just to mention a few. The workflow defines the different statuses and the transitions you can do, and when it reaches the "done" status for one board the app can automatically move it to the "in progress" status for the next board. 

kiana.ranjbar February 13, 2020

As you mentioned, I would like to have it automatically moved to "in progress." Are you saying that can only be done with the apps you mentioned? 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2020

Correct, out-of-the-box Jira does not have a post function that allows you to change the status. I have used both Scriptrunner, it comes with a built-in script to transition an issue, and Automation to automatically change the status.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events