How to add custom field values from parent issue into automatic sub- task's summary

Claire Upham January 19, 2018

We would like to  be able to stick custom field values in the summary of an automatic sub- task using the "Create a sub- task" post function. For example, the summary would be:

Add "custom field_1 value" to Work order "custom field_2 value"

Both custom field values would come from the parent issue. Can anyone help with the code that can be used in the "Additional issue actions" of the post- function for this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jenna Davis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2018

Hello Claire, 

You should be able to do something similar to this in the Additional Issue Actions section:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.customFieldManager
def fieldA = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("FieldA").getValue(sourceIssue)
def fieldB = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("FieldB").getValue(sourceIssue)
issue.summary = "Add ${fieldA} to Work Order ${fieldB}"

You'll need to add in your own custom field names instead of 'FieldA' and 'FieldB'.

I didn't test this directly, so I could've made a typo. Let me know if something doesn't work or if you need any further help. :)

Jenna

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for the quick response. I am getting an error message saying "cannot invoke method getValue() on null object"... Is it an issue with this line maybe?

customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("FieldA").getValue(sourceIssue)

Claire

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2018

It is, that call should be showing an error as the call getCustomFieldManager does not exist.  Try getCustomFieldObjectByName("FieldA")

There's loads of ways to "get" a custom field in CustomFieldManager - I have it bookmarked because I can't remember which is which: https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/7.6.1/index.html?com/atlassian/jira/issue/CustomFieldManager.html

Thanks, Nic. getCustomFieldObjectByName did the trick, it works just as expected.

Thank you both for your help.

Claire

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events