How to Create Jira Tickets from Your Outlook Email

banner-01 (1).png

If there's one thing we're all here for, it's boosting productivity. Jira has been a great boon in making that happen. Not only that, but it has facilitated omnichannel integrations with various platforms to help you stay on top of things. Isn't it just a weight off your mind to be able to stay on track of your issues and have them come to the same place? From social media to email, all of it can be easily sent to your Jira dashboard. While that's all well and good, today we're highlighting one of those platforms. The platform of choice is Outlook, and we're going to explain how to create Jira tickets from your email using it.

Why should you connect your email with Jira?

Before we get into how to make it happen, we should probably explain why it's a good idea to integrate Outlook with Jira. It goes without saying that we all receive a lot of emails on a daily basis. Sometimes, those emails are work-related, or include tasks that should be dealt with. Sometimes, they can merely be things you want to look into for yourself, or even an inquiry from a customer. After all, by using Jira Service Management, and even creating your own service desk, you're giving people new ways to contact you with problems they're facing. Or even suggestions they have.

All of these are things you can't afford to lose track of in your inbox. So you have one of two options, either personally manually make note of it or have it go straight to your task list through Jira. I don't know about you, but anything that eases the process is a must-have by my standards.

What benefits can you gain from a Jira Outlook plugin?

But, is adding the contents of an email to your Jira task list the only thing you can get out of this integration? The answer is no. There are many benefits to connecting your email with Jira, here are a few.

Create a Jira ticket from an email

This integration allows you to turn any email in your inbox into a Jira ticket. 

Add an email to a pre-existing ticket

Not only can you create new issues, but you can add a new email to a previous issue if they're following the same problem.

Assign the ticket to yourself or someone else

You can choose who gets to handle this issue and assign the ticket to them. Or you can assign it to yourself if you're simply adding it to your task list.

View all related tickets

If an issue you're having is part of a thread of issues, or is related to ones already open or closed, you can easily view them to get a better picture of the issue.

Log work from your email

You don't need to go to your Jira dashboard every time to log work time, you can do it using a Jira Outlook plugin straight from your email. 

But this is not all you can do with such a Jira integration with Outlook, in fact you can learn more here on how to Do More Than Create Simple Jira Tickets from Outlook! 

How do you create Jira tickets from your email?

Now that we've established all the benefits you can gain from such a cohesive Jira Outlook integration, what is the best way to make that happen? The answer is finding the right tool through the Atlassian Marketplace

Step one: Download the desired tool from the marketplace. In this case, we're going to be using Microsoft Outlook for Jira as a guiding example.

Step two: Install the add-on to your Outlook.

Step three: Connect your Outlook to the add-on.

Step four: Go to the add-on from the required email and create an issue, or even add the email to an existing issue.

Every app comes with specific capabilities and limitations, so you should choose the right one for you. What makes Microsoft Outlook for Jira unique, is that not only does it allow you to do all the points we mentioned earlier, it can also do it both using the desktop version and the mobile version.

Conclusion

Every day comes with new innovations that help ease our working process, so we can be productive. Integrating simple Jira add-ons to your project management tool, can help lessen your work load and limited wasted time in the process.

14 comments

Comment

Anupriya Gupta April 4, 2022

hi, 

Is it possible to pre set component or labels via outlook?

Thank!
Anupriya

Like Dixit Preeti likes this
Aliaa ElNashar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 4, 2022

Hello @Anupriya Gupta !

Can you please clarify what it is you'd like to do with Outlook? Is it in relation to tickets?
For a more detailed response on this, please contact our support.

ramesh prasath August 9, 2022

Hi @Aliaa ElNashar ,

While am trying to integrate OTJ jira plugin in outlook it is not accepting our jira server link, getting below error. Could you please let me know what am I missing here ?

Note: I have gone through the doc where they have explained about how to enter our URL.

OTJ jira issue.jpg

Aliaa ElNashar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 9, 2022

Hello @ramesh prasath , we will need more information regarding the problem to be able to help. Can you please contact our support.

ramesh prasath August 9, 2022

created a ticket.

Details: ATLSUP-8329

Dixit Preeti September 21, 2022

@Anupriya Gupta were you able to find answer to your question? I am trying to do something similar to what you have asked, pre set component or labels via outlook; meaning pickup some of the values that are part of the outlook email and use them as label, or components in JIRA. 

Aliaa ElNashar
Marketplace Partner
March 1, 2023

Now you have a lot new features at your disposal!
- Giving customer access to the JSM portal
- Fully integrating Outlook with Tempo and logging work from email
- Include mentions in ticket descriptions and in comments
- Easily alternate between standard Jira issue view and service desk portal view
- Display "Insight" fields when creating Jira tickets from Outlook
- Create custom work attribute fields in Tempo and view them through the add-on
- Preview attachments found on Jira tickets
- Rename Jira attachments without needing to re-upload them with new names

You can learn more about adding customer access through this blog: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-Your-Customers-Can-Create-a-Jira-Ticket-from-their-Outlook/ba-p/2278557

Amber Morris April 3, 2023

It would be great if it integrated with Outlook rules. Create a rule that will automatically create a JIRA issue based on parameters of the rule. 

Like # people like this
Aliaa ElNashar
Marketplace Partner
April 4, 2023

Hi @Amber Morris 

Thanks for your comment on our blog post and for sharing your thoughts on a new feature. We're glad to hear that you're excited about it!

Guess what? We're already planning to include that feature in our product roadmap, so stay tuned for updates! We're always looking for ways to improve our product and make it even better for our users, and your feedback is a huge help.

Thanks for being a part of our community and sharing your ideas with us. We really appreciate it!

César Adalberto Bessa Ribeiro
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 30, 2023

Hello,

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to register an outgoing (to be sent) e-mail directly to an Issue?

Currently I have to go onto the 'Sent e-mails' folder and manualy register them.

Thank you for your support.

César

Aliaa ElNashar
Marketplace Partner
December 3, 2023

@César Adalberto Bessa Ribeiro hello!

Can you please share a scenario with us at support@infosysta.com to better understand your question and what you're seeking?

Hugo Kröck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 10, 2024

Hi, 

thank you for this article!

The links included in this part and the following sentences "In this case, we're going to be using Microsoft Outlook for Jira as a guiding example." are not working anymore. Can you please replace them. thx

Aliaa ElNashar
Marketplace Partner
January 10, 2024

@Hugo Kröck ,

Thank you for reading out our blog. I have checked the links and they seem to be working fine for me. Perhaps there are some restrictions on your end. Can you check if this link works? https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213339?tab=overview

Hugo Kröck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 11, 2024

@Aliaa ElNashar 

Strange behaviour on my side. Yesterday these links were providing error codes, today they work and the one you provided works as well. Thanks for responding :-)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events