• Community
  • Products
  • Apps & Integrations
  • Questions
  • How do you allow a parent CR to not progress to the next transition until all CR-Subtasks have been closed? I need the button to be visible but throw an error message when clicked.

How do you allow a parent CR to not progress to the next transition until all CR-Subtasks have been closed? I need the button to be visible but throw an error message when clicked.

Kristina Butler February 9, 2013

How do you allow a parent CR to not progress to the next transition until all CR-Subtasks have been closed? I need the button to be visible but throw an error message when clicked.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2013

There's two questions here, sort of.

1. To prevent a parent from moving on while it's got open subtasks, the standard approach is to use the "subtask status blocking" condition. That lets you set conditions on a workflow like "only show this transition if all the subtasks are in status X, Y or Z"

2. Answer 1 above works, but does not meet your "visible/error message" criteria. In Jira, a "condition" stops a user from seeing the option to try a transition. What you're asking for is a "validator" - these don't stop a user seeing or starting a transition, but stops them completing it if the data is wrong.

I've not seen a plugin that will provide a validator that will look at the subtask-status, so I think you might need to do a bit of coding. Of course, you can "borrow" the code from the condition, it'll be almost identical.

Note - I use the condition, and have never really needed to look for a validator style way to do it, so I don't want to tell you there is nothing out there, just that I've never looked.

Kristina Butler February 9, 2013

Thank you. Would you be able to tell me how I can view the code for the blocking condition?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2013

Ah, the one I use is in Jira off-the-shelf, so it's part of the core code, and that's closed so I can't share it.

If you've got a commercial licence, you can download the source for Jira from your my.atlassian account and find it in there. Shouldn't be hard to extract the condition and convert to a validator.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events