How do Notifications correnspond with Workflow transitions?

Sebastian Baehr April 20, 2015

Hello,

I am wondering how certain Notifications like 'Work Started on Issue' and 'Work Stopped on Issue' translate to the transitions of workflows like 'Assigned', 'In Progress',...

Because I'm having a hard time figuring out, which Issue Event Template Sets in JEMH correspond to which actions our Support Workflow.

Regards

Sebastian 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2015

By default, only the Generic Event is strictly related to a workflow transition.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA063/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme#CreatingaNotificationScheme-events

The doc is not very explicit on what constitutes a Work Started or Work Stopped event. As far as I can tell, these are never mapped by default when you create a transition. If you'd like to use them for specific transitions (like the default JIRA workflow does between "Open" and "Assigned"), you'll need to replace the Generic event with the Work Started event in the transition's post-functions.

In short, these are optional events that are mapped on the default workflow on selected transitions.

1 vote
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2015

What is driving the workflow transition? If you create custom events, your workflows can fire custom events that you can react to in JEMH. As answer below, Generic events aren't in themselves useful to JEMH.

Changes to an issue that update fields result in an ISSUE_UPDATED, changes driven by JEMH usually add comments, and can update fields, so are usually ISSUE_UPDATED, however, the most recent JEMH 1.7.x release allows you to map 'any' event with a comment to be a given event, eg ISSUE_UPDATED. to reduce custom template needs, only useful in some situs

What version of JEMH are you on (JEMH 1.7.x does things a little differently that means ISSUE_CREATED can be used, mostly, for create notifications instead of the historical custom event - limitations apply).

0 votes
Sebastian Baehr April 20, 2015

Thanks for the quick response guys. The Generic Events was what I was looking for. I don't need to heavily customize the default templates, I just wanted to modify the formatting a bit, which I was able to do.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events