How do I set an automation that only works when I am on a specific board?

Scott Cupit February 22, 2021

I manage 2 teams in 1 project.  1 team uses scrum board, this is software developers.  The UI/UX team uses kanban board.  I have the Kanban board (UI/UX team) to only display issues with the component UI/UX set.  We have a lot of epics and so not all epics have UI/UX, so this is the reason for tagging with a component.

On the Kanban backlog when I create an issue, it does not show up in that Backlog because it does not have the UI/UX component.

Is there a way I can use an automation to add the component automatically when I am on a specific board only?  For example, add component "UI/UX" if user board = "UI/UX Board"?

With an automation, I can copy the parent epic's components, but not specify only a specific board.

I need the issues to all be in the same projects and epics.  I don't want to move UI/UX team to scrum at this time.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Scott Cupit February 25, 2021

Thanks for your response.  I decided it was best to reorganize under a different issue type than to use components for my use case.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

Hi Scott,

Boards are just visual representations of the issues in the database. They have no power beyond that. So you don't technically create cards against a board or from a board. You create cards against a project (and an Issue Type). 

So the board in question has a filter associated with it. If you use that filter as the JQL in an Automation rule then you should be able to get what you need. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2021

Yes, using a different Issue Type works well, too. We do that a lot.  :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events